Watch out for my feathered friends!

orkan

When you're out p-dog blasting, it's very important to confirm your target before pressing the trigger. These little guys are called burrowing owls. They take over prairie dog burrows and use them as homes and nesting sites. Very cool little creatures and they are scattered among all the prairie dog towns I shoot. I managed to get some decent pictures of the shy little angry-faced fellows today.

They are welcomed destroyers of vermin and insects, and always provide some good comic relief when shooting prairie dogs and you scan over a mound with the rifle scope and see one of these angry little faces staring at you.

YJWZlBhh.jpg

3bfbmDvh.jpg

sEYm9Vih.jpg

We have a few of those burrowing owls up here in our North Dakota prairie dog towns. It is fun to watch them. There are also a few weasels and some badgers around various dog towns as well.

I just got back fro ND and wondered what kind of bird they were. I wasn't using a scope powerful enough to get a good at them. Thanks for posting. Good pic btw.

We watch several owls in prairie dog towns that had been poisoned. Also saw them in a couple towns that the landowner thought the -30 winter temps had thinned the population.

Hahaha, I remember seeing these little guys in OK when we were shootin pdogs.
They were pretty cool to watch but couldnt get a good picture of them.

They are pretty thick in dog towns here this time of year. By the end of October they will be pretty much gone for the year and show back up sometime around the end of April. Never had much trouble discerning the difference between them and a prairie dog, but have been around both of them quite a bit. The color and shape differences get pretty easy to recognize with a little practice.

Back