Gettysburg

I'll be in Gettysburg Monday Tuesday and Wednesday with the family and am looking for some cool things to do or see that aren't part of the typical tour. We will be doing a majority of the battle fields, monuments and general historical sites so any advice doesn't have to be history related. My kids are 17, 11 and 9 so most things are relevant. Thanks in advance

Hopefully you already watched the movie ‘Gettysburg’ before you go, great movie. We went years ago, enjoyed it much, due again.

Go to the Museum and visitors center. All the old guns and things plus there is a “The Battle of Gettysburg Cyclorama Painting” it’s worth the little bit to go upstairs and see it. You won’t believe it. It goes all the way around you and has sand and cannons and things lying on dirt going up to the painting that raps 360 degrees around the room. It is truly like standing on a hill looking at the war. It’s a must see. There is a cool restaurant downtown has a spring in the basement called Dobbin House. Their French onion soup is great! Plus there is history about someone being there planning something about the invasion. Sorry memory is not as good as it use to be. Plus there is the Jenny Lind house, she was the only civilian killed in the war. That’s about all I can come up with off the top of my head.

The Cylcorama was awesome. Thanks viper. There were parts in that picture that looked so realistic and 3D that I swear I could walk over and grab a soldier or horse or cannon. Amazingly well done!

Back