New Vortex scope 2?

Have 13 Vortex optics and never a problem. Good clear glass, Vortex has the least return of most all others and the best customer service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wicka Beware of the trolls that try to get you to call them & buy their products

I thought that was what happened to me here because I never said I wanted to buy the scope.

I will say that I don't believe that was exactly the case here. The Cameraland poster seems to have a good reputation on this, and other, forums. I think the non-Vortex guys just stepped in to voice their thoughts collectively.

I don't think he has an unbiased opinion since he doesn't sell Vortex optics- at least I didn't see any on his site. He does have a variety of quality optics at fair prices though.

Originally Posted By: GG224Originally Posted By: wicka Beware of the trolls that try to get you to call them & buy their products

I thought that was what happened to me here because I never said I wanted to buy the scope.

I will say that I don't believe that was exactly the case here. The Cameraland poster seems to have a good reputation on this, and other, forums. I think the non-Vortex guys just stepped in to voice their thoughts collectively.

I don't think he has an unbiased opinion since he doesn't sell Vortex optics- at least I didn't see any on his site. He does have a variety of quality optics at fair prices though.

In reply to: "I don't think he has an unbiased opinion since he doesn't sell Vortex optics- at least I didn't see any on his site." We were one of the 1st major Vortex dealers and carried their products until about a year or so ago. We just feel with changes in the industry there are other options that are the same or better quality for less money.

We have been a supporting vendor here, as well as many other forums, for many many years. Whether you buy from us or not we are always available to assist you with any brand we handle. If you ever have a service issue, whether you purchased the product from us or someone else, we will get with the mfg andassist you as that is what being a supporting vendor is all about

i'm gonna jump in and put a pro vortex post in here.

for the price - ive not been able to say no!

as for quality issues, of the handful i own i have yet to have any performance problems. That may change at some point int he future, but for now they've all performed reasonably well - that being nothing has broken, returns to zero when clicking around for elevation adjustments, etc. and i'm comfortable with the warranty they offer that should something unfortunate happen - they WILL stand behind it.

ive got one of the older 6-24-44 viper PTS on my 308, and a fistful of diamondbacks of various configurations. The diamondback line is my baseline-go-to scope these days.

buddy of mine bought his first vortex (3.5-10x44 viper PTS) early last year for his 450 bushmaster and raves about how clear it is compared to his older weaver optic on his 30-06.
He was really nervous at first because of the price (hes not a huge gun guy, but enjoys shooting here and there) but i talked him into clicking "buy now". Since then he's put a diamondback on his 223 and he's been watching for another sale on the Viper line so he can pickup another to re-glass that 30-06 too.

[edit] my older vortex optics go back about 7 years now. i think my most recent purchase was last summer if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug

In reply to: "I don't think he has an unbiased opinion since he doesn't sell Vortex optics- at least I didn't see any on his site." We were one of the 1st major Vortex dealers and carried their products until about a year or so ago. We just feel with changes in the industry there are other options that are the same or better quality for less money.

I get that. And I have yet to try an Athlon so I can't give my opinion on a comparison between the two brands. The dealers in my area have expressed their position that Vortex sells well and Athlon would be redundant for them to carry because of price, quality, and options. I will go out of town soon to check them out though as I will be buying a scope within the next 2 months.

I get 40% off Vortex, 45% off Leupolds(1 per year), 35% off Burris (MSRP) and various other discounts from other companies. Once I decide what I want I will call you to see if you can at least match the price. I would rather give business to individuals that have a good reputation as I have read about you. Even if you are located in NY :-0...like much of my family!

I sold Vortex. I owned a bunch of their scopes. My opinion stated was from a lot of hands on experience. Take it how you’d like it.

I have had a lot of Vortex over the years. My impression is that they are a pretty decent company whop sells a pretty good assortment of mediocre products, with some very good stuff and some junk thrown in the mix. They manage to survive because they are decent folks, with an incredibly good marketing vision, and most folks who buy the warranty, and rarely ever actually use their product.

Athlon ruined themselves with me before they ever started. When they first surfaced, you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a "dealer." They descended upon Facebook and various sites like biblical locusts. Everyone had a brother in law who could offer you a better deal, and their scopes were always "as good as" any other brand, for less money. References to "Japanese glass" and "American designs" were always bantered about in some sort of effort to cover up the fact that, with a few exceptions, the entire line is Chinese.

With so many proven options out there, I will definitely pass on the latter, and the former gets only slightly more attention.

Originally Posted By: liliysdad

Athlon ruined themselves with me before they ever started. When they first surfaced, you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a "dealer." They descended upon Facebook and various sites like biblical locusts. Everyone had a brother in law who could offer you a better deal, and their scopes were always "as good as" any other brand, for less money. References to "Japanese glass" and "American designs" were always bantered about in some sort of effort to cover up the fact that, with a few exceptions, the entire line is Chinese.

I agree completely. When they first appeared on the optics scene they opened anyone and everyone as a dealer. They did not market the product correctly. They, for lack of a better description, prostituted the product to get it exposure.

However, this only lasted a short while and they saw the error of doing this.

Since this realization they have truly stepped up. They have cleaned up all of those "garage dealers" and opened some major players as authorized dealers. They've released some great products and new reticles.
This has happened from them listening to what's been said on the forums and from speaking with folks at trade shows. This level of listening and customer service is what will make them into a great company, IMO.
They make all their products in China with the exception of their Cronus riflescopes which are made in Japan.
Yes, there is crap made in China as well as top quality.
Athlon has stepped up and has their own people doing QC over in China and then again when the product arrives in Kansas. They are dedicated to producing quality at lower than the competitions pricing.

They have strongly grabbed a position in the tactical shooting community with their Cronus BTR, Ares BRT and soon to be released Ares ETR Riflescopes

There's a reason why the rearview mirror is smaller than the windshield. Let's look forward and not back and view their products with an open mind.

Here are a couple of reviews from forum members, on another forum, of a couple of their products:
Ares Spotting Scope
&
Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 and Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 Riflescopes

We would be happy to discuss Athlon, or any other mag's products with you if you'd like. Just give us a call

Nobody within 90 of my location miles carries Athlon scopes. Cabela's near Wheeling also did not have any in stock when I called.

I did check out several different ones this weekend at a Groundhog shoot and at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I was not impressed with the Weaver fixed 36X. I heard so many good things about them but was less than impressed with the clarity and the eye relief. I checked out an SWFA 10-50 that was really nice. A burris- great eye relief and clarity, okay reticle. A Vortex viper- nice reticle, good clarity, good eye relief. A Vortex Razor- awesome scope all around! I'd have to hear of valid reason not to own one of those.

That Sightron is a heck of a scope....its also huge, and expensive, with a magnification range of questionable utility. Unfortunately, Sightron is slow on the uptake as far as getting a decent, FFP scope on the market.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones when it comes to the Vortex Viper scopes. I have them on 3 different rifles that are used for shooting from 600 to 1,200 yards, and they track better than most any other scope that I have used, that cost under $1,000. Their repeatability tracking ability, along with their very bright and clear lens is why I bought and second and then a third Vortex Viper scope. All 3 are the 6.5X-20X-50mm with the fine duplex reticle. I have tried the Burris, Leupold and Nikon in the same magnification range, and they would not track and there were not as clear or bright!

Went to Cabela's today to do some comparisons. Since 1st posting this I have used one Athlon scope(Argos BTR) and it was a decent scope for a lower priced option. Only shot to 100 yards with it and would not hesitate to recommend it for that range.

At the store: the Cronus at $1600 did not impress me, not for the price (my Burris XTR was half the price $840) and to me there is no comparison in a number of areas. Schmidt and Bender ($3200) nice scope, wouldn't pay that much for it- not when I liked others better for over a grand less. Zeiss- beautiful glass, reticle too large for what I like to use it for.

The cream of the crop (A) Leupold Mark 5 5-25X56 M5C3 35mm. Yep, that's a 35mm tube. Mounts would cost more. Excellent scope for about $2000 and it weighs an impressive 30 oz. (B) Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 with 34mm tube. Weighs a crazy 48.5 oz. Vortex Razor was the best glass and all around scope there. I would not recommend it for hunting- too heavy. Eye relief, FOV & clarity- fantastic! If you have never looked through this optic it is the standard bearer for fine glass as far as I'm concerned. It does not use the shim system for zero-stop like the lower end vortex optics do.

I have shot out of several lower end Vortex scopes and they are fine. I don't like the shim adjustment system they use in their turrets.

My option on the athlon is with the Midas. Now looked at one with a local dealer had my pst with to compare this was a couple years ago already, but the athlon was on par with the viper pst geni glass or athlon a little better. Turrets wise the vortex was flat out better, zero stop would go to athlon on the ares the Midas I don’t believe has one but you can shim it like the geni vortex. Now last year I was at our local Scheels seen they had the Midas there so I looked through it and the glass sucked was milky cloudy and that was in the store. Was very surprised to see that after looking at that first one and the first one I was looking at it outside on a cloudy day. Now my cousin found an ares to look through he said the same thing glass wasn’t very crisp and clear was cloudy looking. We were very disappointed because we were both thinking that the ares was going to be the scope for our gong shooting rifle. I don’t know if we just some how got two bad scopes in a row or if there Glass has gone downhill, because that first one I looked at looked great was on par or a hair better then my viper pst. So right now for the money I’m seriously considering the Burris xtrii. I would like to hear cameralands thoughts on my views of what I have experienced.

Originally Posted By: zr600My option on the athlon is with the Midas. Now looked at one with a local dealer had my pst with to compare this was a couple years ago already, but the athlon was on par with the viper pst geni glass or athlon a little better. Turrets wise the vortex was flat out better, zero stop would go to athlon on the ares the Midas I don’t believe has one but you can shim it like the geni vortex. Now last year I was at our local Scheels seen they had the Midas there so I looked through it and the glass sucked was milky cloudy and that was in the store. Was very surprised to see that after looking at that first one and the first one I was looking at it outside on a cloudy day. Now my cousin found an ares to look through he said the same thing glass wasn’t very crisp and clear was cloudy looking. We were very disappointed because we were both thinking that the ares was going to be the scope for our gong shooting rifle. I don’t know if we just some how got two bad scopes in a row or if there Glass has gone downhill, because that first one I looked at looked great was on par or a hair better then my viper pst. So right now for the money I’m seriously considering the Burris xtrii. I would like to hear cameralands thoughts on my views of what I have experienced.

The points you bring up about the Athlon scopes are similar to another discussion I read involving March scopes with Jim Kelbly. Apparently there is a process of adjusting March scopes to ensure clarity. This may or may not be the same with the Athlon series. It went something like: "First adjust the eye relief, then dial in the range, then adjust parallax." (don't quote me on that but you get the idea) This seemed to make a significant difference to the posters who were complaining about not being able to get a good picture with a $3000 scope.

The guys I shoot with primarily use Vortex. With the exception of the Razor I mentioned, I really like my Burris XTR II Scope 5-25x50mm 34mm Tube W/SCR Mil Reticle better. They do too.

The only problem with it, if I use it to shoot competitions is that it is a tactical scope and the windage turret does not allow the caldwell bullet catcher to function properly. I'll have to use the ol' hat hanging off the scope trick.

Last edited:
I can't get on the vortex bandwagon.What they have is good marketing. I just ordered an Athlon today. It is a risk, but it has the features I want at the right price for the moment. Hope the reviews are right. We will see how it goes. The neos I got is about the same price as a Mueller APV. Everyone raves about the APV as being a good value, but to me it is like I am wearing sunglasses compared to a weaver.

I generally go with weaver if I am looking for bang for the buck or the lower end sightron.

If you are not looking for a value, I see no reason to go with vortex. You can count on Leupold, sightron, zeiss, and many others if you are not on a tight budget.

Last edited:
Back