Best IR illuminator

6mm06

What do you consider the best weapon mountable, 850nm illuminator that provides a very tight focus for distance and with a clean view without distortion? Also, this illuminator should fit a scope ring or have its own adjustable mount.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What do you consider the best weapon mountable, 850nm illuminator that provides a very tight focus for distance and with a clean view without distortion? Also, this illuminator should fit a scope ring or have its own adjustable mount.

Our made in Germany and the USA (not China) Torch Pro 2 has a very clean beam (3deg to 12 deg) and fit's nicely into a 1" mount. We do not have an adjustable mount we make, but there is other 1" mounts out there. Also our unit can use a Surefire Pressure switch cap and pressure switch if needed.

Our head also fits a wide variety of SF housings out there as well.

As for frequency of light our 810nm (we also offer 880 and 910nm diodes) vs. 850nm is mitigated in huge ways due to the way we designed our lens system where our IR diode is designed deep into the head of the unit without the use of a reflector type head.

We're very proud of our Torch Pro that has been in service for over 3 years now with quality hard to beat.

MDH-Torch_Pro_MKII-11-544773.jpg

TorchPRO_7-1-544776.jpg

TorchPRO_8-1-544775.jpg

TorchPRO_Pill_ex-544777.jpg

Thanks Vic. So, do I understand correctly that the 810nm diode on the Torch Pro will give about the same intensity of red glow as common 850nm lights, given that it is mounted deeper into the housing?

I have been hunting with a Photon XT 6.5x digital scope and an ATN X-Sight 2, 3-14x. I have an illuminator that works very well with the Photon when it is focused tight. At 140 yards (about the longest range I will be hunting) it is very bright. My latest hog hunt with the X-Sight and a different illuminator at 120 yards was less than what I want with regards to brightness. I am thinking that a powerful and tightly focused illuminator will solve that problem, thus my quest for a clean and powerful illuminator.

As to stealth, the 850nm gives off a red glow and hogs at two different locations, the furthest distance being 120 yards, saw it but did not run from it. My question is, do you think the 810 will be about equal to other 850 lights with regards to intensity of glow, or should I go with the 880, and will the 880 give the desired clean and bright view that I need in order to get the X-Sight up to speed?

With my TORCH PRO II, pvs-14, & my day scope I can probably go 500 yards. I will check it when I get home from Church. Have not used it for about a year, so I might be stretching it a bit.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Thanks Vic. So, do I understand correctly that the 810nm diode on the Torch Pro will give about the same intensity of red glow as common 850nm lights, given that it is mounted deeper into the housing?

I have been hunting with a Photon XT 6.5x digital scope and an ATN X-Sight 2, 3-14x. I have an illuminator that works very well with the Photon when it is focused tight. At 140 yards (about the longest range I will be hunting) it is very bright. My latest hog hunt with the X-Sight and a different illuminator at 120 yards was less than what I want with regards to brightness. I am thinking that a powerful and tightly focused illuminator will solve that problem, thus my quest for a clean and powerful illuminator.

As to stealth, the 850nm gives off a red glow and hogs at two different locations, the furthest distance being 120 yards, saw it but did not run from it. My question is, do you think the 810 will be about equal to other 850 lights with regards to intensity of glow, or should I go with the 880, and will the 880 give the desired clean and bright view that I need in order to get the X-Sight up to speed?

Correct, our 810nm is equal to the 850nm IR LED emitter signature due to our optic design. I would get the Torch Pro with the 880nm pill option as well to try out. IF the 880nm is not enough HP for the X-Sight digi sensors which is MUCH less sensitive than normal NVD's you have 14 days to return it no questions asked. Thank you.

David let me know what works for you...I see ATN has released a new IR for about 189.00. There were some guys on the ATN site testing it out last night. I'm with you I think I need a little more HP on my x-sight also

The T-20 I have been using works fine at 50/60 yards, but double that distance and it's very lacking.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The T-20 I have been using works fine at 50/60 yards, but double that distance and it's very lacking.

As I mentioned, using any "digital" device is incredibly less sensitive to the IR spectrum of light vs. a standard I^2 night vision device.

I am using a Sniper Hog 66LRX with my dads Nemesis 4x and It is impressive. WAAAYYYY better than the high tech redneck t20 that come with it and the factory Armasight I got with my vampire.

My fiend bought a Predator Tactics Reaper xxl and it makes the Sniper Hog look like a key chain flash light. Now is it too bright? IDK you can see it with your naked eye quite well when looking at the gun.

I just bought a Nemesis 6x so I too am in the market for another IR. I will be looking at the TNVC unit. Right now I am leaning toward a Sniper Hog with an adjustable end cap.

Is the Reaper XXL available in IR 850nm? On their website I only saw red, green, amber and white modules.

Back