Dakota Varminter 4.0?

1lobo,
I use the same suppressor on a rifle while shooting that it was zeroed with. Once zeroed with a given surpressor, I can’t say that that I ever noticed a shift. I have taken on and off the surpressors during a range session when I first got them with no poi shift noticed at 100. Might not be the same if you are randomly putting them on guns though.

Good information Flybum. Seems like that's a good recommendation for the Varminter. I don't think they are all that forgiving, but I don't have any experience in that regard, just what I've read. I've noticed a lack of comment about POI issues with the Varminter. I can suppose that no news is good news in that case. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted By: MerditSo, has anyone received their 4.0, yet?

I have. My fall has been crazy busy so I haven't done too much testing. I did a quick test on a couple hosts, and the zero seems repeatable once zeroed. I have not tried seeing if the zero changes going from 9" to 7" or vice versa.

It sounds fantastic on a 10.5" 300 blackout ar and my 16" 6.8 ar. I used 5.4 ounce buffers and adjustable gas blocks. I have a RPR with a 26" 1-8 twist barrel in 243 that I load with a stout load of RL 26 and 105 amax. It sounded pretty quiet, but after 3 rounds my ears were ringing.

They did a name change on the Varminter 4.0. They are calling it the Banish 30 now. Seems it's the same model, made by the same folks (Mack Bros.) just a marketing ploy. Not sure why they think the name change is beneficial, I'm kinda partial to Varminter myself.

They changed it up a little now. Now one suppressor can be converted for multiple calibers with caliber specific end caps. Not sure if the baffles stay the same or they also get changed out? But I also like the Varminter name more.

Originally Posted By: Tgunz64They changed it up a little now. Now one suppressor can be converted for multiple calibers with caliber specific end caps. Not sure if the baffles stay the same or they also get changed out? But I also like the Varminter name more.

The name change bugged me a little, they said mine would be a varminter. looking forward to getting my hands on mine. They also said that caliber end caps will be available for it also.

Expect mine sometime this summer. Hopefully. I’m thinking the different end caps are to shrink the caliber you have down not up. I may be wrong though. Dave

Originally Posted By: 1loboThey did a name change on the Varminter 4.0. They are calling it the Banish 30 now. Seems it's the same model, made by the same folks (Mack Bros.) just a marketing ploy. Not sure why they think the name change is beneficial, I'm kinda partial to Varminter myself.

I was in the office the other day. One of the reps was talking with another customer. He said they are getting ready to roll out to the rest of the country. Instead of the 7 States they are currently in.

Add to few years ago Remington Arms purchased Dakota Arms. And Remington has a rifle line called Varmint.

So expect "Dakota Silencer" to change names later this year.

No marketing ploy. But a re-branding to distance themselves from a different company with similar names.

Last edited:
Good explanation. Thanks for that. I can see the rationale now. I would welcome their venture into other parts of the country. They are a good outfit to deal with and are pretty good with helping you through the process. They would give more competition to Silencer Shop if they branched out. Competition is healthy.

The "Banish 30" actually looks like a pretty cool can. Very light, direct thread, and modular length, all things I would like. Interesting suppressor but kind of on the expensive side. I would really like to hear one in person compared to my Omega.

I would love to let you know if I can ever get mine out of jail.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI would love to let you know if I can ever get mine out of jail.
frown.gif

I'm at 10 months since the check was cashed, so I feel your pain.

Originally Posted By: McflyAccording to Mac Bros, the 4.0 needs to be cleaned every 50 to 100 rounds. I can see why Dakota Silencer doesn't post this on their page, it is definitely a turn off. I guess I am stuck with it now, but I really wasn't wanting to clean a silencer every time I shoot. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

https://macbros.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/VARMINTER-4.0-INSTRUCTIONS-4_12_18.pdf

It just depends how easy you want it to break down and what ammo you are shooting through it. Obviously 500 rounds of rimfire and it will be tough to unscrew the caps. If you are shooting clean supersonic centerfire you should be able to go a lot more than 100 rounds. I think they say that thinking that if they say 100 rounds hopefully it gets cleaned by 250 rounds.

I only shoot high pressure centerfire through mine. I am definitely over 100 rounds and can still take mine apart by hand.

Back