white groundhog

why

I was out shooting some groundhogs yesterday and I see a light colored ghog, ranged 402 yds. and took the shot. When I get over to it I am surprised to see it is mostly white. this is the second white ghog that I have shot. The first was an albino but this one had a tan tip on the tail and some tan on the shoulders.

Pictures, we need pictures!!!

YlIJZH5.gif

Here are photos of two of why's groundhogs. One looks just mutant colored and the other one appears to be a pure albino.

57r2qk8.jpg

TmK5FLj.jpg

Last edited:
First of all I'd like to thank SilverFox for posting the pictures. Those two were shot about 4 miles apart from each other

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing those Pic's--I'd mount both of them for sure-----I use to do Taxidermy so it would be hard not to -----Congrats on the shot---- ---svb

i've only seen one, some 12 miles southwest of Staunton VA, in the Shenandoah valley. This was some 8 years ago in an excellent hay field, where a number of groundhogs have lighter or reddish colored fur (in dry weather). When glassing the field it looked like a cat at first, but it was much too windy to shoot. The weather was cooperative a few weeks later and it kept appearing in the middle of the field. Not really wanting to shoot it, the thing would stay out even when seeing all the neighbors take a bullet. So it seemed as though it was short on common sense and a predator would have an easy meal, vs. a 55 grain Blitz King from a heavy bbl Savage single shot from 225 yds being the better choice.

The fur was all white with a few black tail hairs and brown eyes. Medium size and not worth skinning. Haven't seen any remarkable light furred friends there since.

This is a good thread and i appreciate the dialog and excellent pics.

Back