Noise and powder

parson

Interested especially in large caliber pistol cartridges. When subsonic suppressed, does powder choice make any significant difference in noise level. My one and only suppressed is a SRT 44 carbine. Using N350 and 300 XTP subsonic, is no where as quiet as the demonstrations on YouTube, tried Hornady factory 44 Special and no better

Parson, I am no expert in this area but I have worked up a lot of subsonic loads in my .300 blackout. Faster powders were quiet when compared to slower powders. Probably because I use less powder to get the bullet moving to 1050 fps. I have shot a lot of the vithavouri powder in my blackout trying to find the best/quietest/most accurate subsonic load. I tried N320, 340, 3N37, 350 and N110. You can tell a difference in sound between them...but only the slower powders shot accurately. The vit powders are pretty bulky so they fill up the case nicely in comparison to other fast ball powders. I have never loaded up a .44 mag subsonics so hopefully someone else will chime in.

I reload for my 77/44 and 240gr XTPs loaded with Trail Boss are noticeably quieter than 300gr Nosler HPs loaded with H110. Both are subsonic. They are both quiet so the difference isn't gigantic, but trailboss is noticeably quieter. I couldn't get enough trial boss under a 300gr to push it to 1000FPS without compressing it.
I'm using a Silencerco Hybrid suppressor. Hope that helps.

The trail boss is definitely quieter but had to go to a lighter bullet. My Speedometer chronograph won’t pick up bullet so I don’t know velocity, still need much work before satisfied

I don’t have a decibels meter so the next best thing was wife, daughter and daughter in law standing about 20 feet to the side slightly to the rear. Their opinion all agreeing n350 the loudest, with HP39 next, then Unique but Trail Booss voted quietist. Tride both 300 and 240 XTP. Bullet weight doesn’t seem to make a noticible difference. Did not try Trail Boss with the 300’s because everything I read says it does not work well compressed. Don’t know the velocity as my chronograph won’t pick it up on the large tube SRT. All were subsonic and going by the book all right at 1000fps. Was hoping for the 300’s as I generally prefer goring heavey for caliber when speed is not an option

Finally got out with the chronograph this morning. Settled on 9.5 gr Traiboss with 240 gr XTP’s and 9 gr Unique for 300 gr XTP’s. Both right at 1030 FPS. One interesting note. When I drove in there were two guys at the pistol/rimfire range, I went to the. 200 yard range. They are about 150 feet apart max with 2 berms between us. I shot 20 rounds across the chronograph and packed it in. Before leaving I stopped by to say hello, they asked what I was doing over there as they never heard a shot. They didn’t call me a liar but you could tell they were sceptical, so went to the pickup, got the rifle and three rounds, handed to one of them and told him to shot it, he did. They other guy had a 22 rinfire with a can on it and said “that is quieter than my 22 “

It is pretty surprising how well 44 can suppress. How did the two loads sound compared to each other? I haven't tried Unique.

My ears are not good enough, VA says 10% disability, my wife says 90%, anyway the ladies say the unique slightly louder but not by much, I can’t tell the difference

Back