How often do you completely strip and clean your bolt actions?

Flesh Eater

Just wondering how often everyone completely strips down their bolt actions and cleans them? I try to do all of mine once a year, maybe more if I carry them frequently in heavy snow storms or get rained on.

Is there anything you guys do that's special? I've considered greasing up all the metal below the woodline and forgetting about it, kind of like old military rifles, but then it's a pain to clean off if I ever decide to do so.

Only done it twice. Got a rifle on trade that the firing pin would hang up once in a while. Took the bolt apart and fixed it. Got the rifle real cheap. 6MM caliber and my son still shoots it all the time. Rudy

I like a clean rifle so probably every few trips or after an extensive range day. Usually every few months I’ll just get an itch. I’m also becoming a gunsmith though so I’d like whoever sees my firearms to know I do a good job.

Just about never. I'm not worried about zeroing, all my rifles are properly bedded and don't change zero at all just from being taken out of the stock. But there just isn't hardly ever any reason to. Will take the firing pin out to clean and grease about once a year, and will squirt some lighter fluid through the trigger once in awhile, but I don't take them apart to do that. I don't usually even take them out of the stock to change a barrel. Just no reason to.

- DAA

I may have misread the question. I clean mine, strip em from the stock though isn’t too often. Couple times a year and only when they’ve been soaked. Hornady oneshot is a great rust preventer though!

I don’t take mine out of the stock unless there is a really good reason.

will check action screw torque a couple times a year.

Back