Stihl Chainsaw Recommendation

I bought a 362c last spring since I needed some serious tree cutting at the new house. I ran that saw hard for the first week and put over 8 tanks of gas through her. She's extremely powerful and I ended up running a 20" bar to prevent bending over all the time.

I ran my 362c yesterday evening to cut a section of ash since I'm extremely low on wood. It started right up and sliced like butter with it being close to 0*.

You'll love your new Stihl! Congrats, it'll serve many, many, years for you.

Here's a shed I found last spring while hinge cutting at the new house/property.

Thanks. I looked at that same exact saw. Very nice, but too much saw for what I will mainly be using it for.
Nice shed too. Pretty cool picture all around!

Last edited:
I didn't read all the posts so I may be repeating someone. The size of the saw you need is directly related to the size and type of timber you are cutting, and your expertise with a saw. I live in northern Wisconsin and cut firewood (50 plus years), and have cut some professionally. A cutter that is knowledgeable can use any saw (within parameters) and do a good job. I would recommend you find a local logger and also go to your Stihl dealer for the best advise. The most important thing is safety and LEARN HOW TO FILE CORRECTLY. Best regards, Barlow

Yes to the above about filing your own chain. I've gotten away from Stihl chains and order them from Bailey's saw supply.

Nice saws pictured above. Keep an eye on the spark arrester screen in the muffler. I take mine out, but to each their own. If they clog you will lose a lot of power.

Unless I have a Stihl in my hands, it just doesn't feel right.

I’ve been Stihl user over the years and have been a big fan of them. It would be used primarily for cutting firewood and thinning some areas and occasionally some storm clean up. The models I am currently looking at are the MS 261, MS 211, MS 250, and MS 251 C-BE but I’m also open to more suggestions. Here found some info that can be useful for chansaw users.

I have worked on Stihl products for right at forty years now. Everybody has given you good advice here. There are two things i will add to this, one of the most important is to always use fresh fuel, Todays gas isn't just gas. It's a mixture of a lot of things that only have a true shelf life of thirty days. Always use non ethanol premium gas, ethanol ruins rubber. (fuel lines etc.)

Use a Stihl servicing dealer whose techs are at least Stihl silver trained, yes there are many great small engine techs out there but these techs have all the newest Stihl tech info on their computers in front of them and if they need help, it's only a phone call away nation wide.

I run a poulan 4200 that is at least 30 yrs. old. Starts on third pull - bought it used 25 yrs. ago from a commercial cutter retiring. Have killed one 16 inch by hrs. run. Am now on my second small one-it runs great. Don't know what else one could ask for.

Dolmar is a good alternative to the latest offerings from either Husky or Stihl.

That said, I use one of my Poulans most of the time. The one I like best has a Sears logo and is 8 years old.

HM

I run(?) a 056. Bought it brand new in 1984! The first 3 years I owned it I cut many cords of wood with it. Now it's getting old just like me and I use it just around the backyard.

I've have a Stihl S10 I bought in 1970, still runs fine with no issues. I just cut up a 30 inch tree with it. I don't know what could be better. Sorry I don't know what todays model would compare.

Back