Nosler 55 grain Varmageddon clone load?

paraord

Hi all,
The 55 grain Nosler Varmageddon 223 factory ammo shoots incredible for me. .340" 5 round groups at 100 yards bench rested good. Now Im not one to mess with success but does anyone have a clone load for this? Powder and quantity?

In the mean time ill keep stocking up on this because its just dead nuts accurate.

Thanks!

The Hornady V-max bullets are pretty much built like the Nosler Varmageddon. A cup & core with a plastic tip. Any cross section I've seen of both bullets look like they are similarly constructed. The Hornady is usually more affordable.

In my Remington 700 Sps with a 12T, 223, the 55g Nosler Varm is a very, very accurate bullet.

my load is hot, so work up to this in your rifle

55g nosler varm
IMI brass
cci 450-Seals the deal on shooting bug holes with this rifle vs 7 1/2, cci br-4, win, or cci 400
27g of Benchmark
3475 fps
THIS LOAD WORKS WELL IN SEVERAL REMINGTONS, MAY BE TOO HOT IN YOUR RIFLE, START AT 24.5G AND WORK UP!!!

You will need to try and duplicate the speed of those factory rounds. As said above, those Hornady 55 grain VMax are a dead ringer to the Nosler if you can't find the Nosler bullets. As for powder. Who knows what they use. Sometime they blend their own mix of powder. I have had very good luck using Varget in the 25 ish grain loads.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanIn my Remington 700 Sps with a 12T, 223, the 55g Nosler Varm is a very, very accurate bullet.

my load is hot, so work up to this in your rifle

55g nosler varm
IMI brass
cci 450-Seals the deal on shooting bug holes with this rifle vs 7 1/2, cci br-4, win, or cci 400
27g of Benchmark
3475 fps
THIS LOAD WORKS WELL IN SEVERAL REMINGTONS, MAY BE TOO HOT IN YOUR RIFLE, START AT 24.5G AND WORK UP!!! your load is way beyond hogdons recommendation. I personally wouldnt share this over the internet. 25.6gr. is recommended max on hogdons site. Your going to contribute to someone getting hurt.

I put two warnings in the post, if they can't read, they are in trouble to begin with.

You can not always cater to the most stupid SOB on the internet.

A. I and others are shooting Remington 700's with this load

B. I am shooting IMI brass-Stout brass

C. My lot # of powder could be different from anyone else's on the
Planet

D. I stated that I am shooting a 12 Twist

E. Idiots reading loads on the internet and do not work up to those
loads are bound to seize up a bolt sooner than later

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanI put two warnings in the post, if they can't read, they are in trouble to begin with.

You can not always cater to the most stupid SOB on the internet.

A. I and others are shooting Remington 700's with this load

B. I am shooting IMI brass-Stout brass

C. My lot # of powder could be different from anyone else's on the
Planet

D. I stated that I am shooting a 12 Twist

E. Idiots reading loads on the internet and do not work up to those
loads are bound to seize up a bolt sooner than later

Amen.

Keith I like the [beeep] out of you but when I read that load it literally made me say “Oh My God” so loudly that my wife asked what was wrong.

No doubt it’s safe in your rifle, but holy cow that’s a stout one for out in the open.... by the way, I agree warning should be enough but what if their attorney is better than yours? Haha....

Back on track here, I also shoot Benchmark under that bullet, and it’s boring how well it shoots.

As for V-Max vs Varmageddon, I am shooting Varmageddon now exclusively. Performance on game is the same, but the accuracy has greatly improved.

The load seems to be a load for Remington rifles only, but lot# of powder, barrel to barrel differences, brass differences, should always make a person back off on a load listed and work up. If you check 5 different loading manuals, you see 5 different max loads. For this reason, any printed load should be worked up to, even max loads in reloading manuals.

One thing for sure, 7-9 twists jack up pressures, and chances are you would have to beat the bolt open with any 9T barrel you ever shot the load in. This is why I listed the warnings. Remington 223, 12T owners would pick up on the load in a hurry, and with the warnings I gave, they should work up to the load also.

Biggen0 8's load with N135 will equal the benchmark velocity load I listed(or excede it), but he did not elaborate much on the velocity or accuracy. I did not mention the N135 load due to how scarce the N135 is, and the fact that N135 has pressure spikes when temps get over 80*.

In my 9T, the accuracy load is at 24.5g Benchmark with a cci 400 and 55g bullet, absolute max load in this rifle is 25.5g of benchmark.

If a guy has been reloading for 50 years, everyday can be a surprise in how a change in primer, very little change in seating depth, change in lot# of powder can alter the accuracy and pressure of a load. Now if you throw in letting your ammo get hot sitting in the sun, you are really in for a shock when you go to open the bolt.

Novices in reloading are in for many, many surprises as they learn. The attention to the load that I gave for Remington 12T 223's is a good subject to educate the novice in what to do and even more important, what not to do. A guy should always work up to any load listed, sooner you learn this, better off you are.

No doubt the safest thing to do is not get involved in Reloading questions and issues unless the conversations are between very experienced competitive shooters or gunsmiths. Way too many things can be misunderstood or taken for granted.

I use 23.0g of Varget with the 55g Noslers, both tipped and HP's, both shoot .5 moa even when mixing up the bullets on the test target. Can't tell which hole the tipped or hp makes in the group unless you know the firing order. This is a starting load per Nosler's web site.

Just going to throw this out there, I am an experienced hand loader from mild to pushing it mighty hot and fully understand a load workup. Im not one to jump on anyones hot load without a proper workup, I was mainly looking for powder suggestions and starting points. Most of my reloading involves my hand cast bullets moving in the 1400-1900 range and I havent done much in the .223 reloading realm. I have a mess of Varget around because it didnt group for anything in my 45-70 (2400 is excellent by the way if anyone was looking for an alternative 45-70 powder)

Ill get to chronographing the factory rounds as a data point and give varget a go. And open up my pile of reloading manuals to the 223 page.

Thanks guys!

Back