Shot at pack of dogs but have a conundrum!

ohihunter2014

Out shooting woodchucks last night a larger coyote along with 2 pups entered the field and another large one 100yards away entered another field. On 3 my buddy and I fired and he hit the large one and it dropped and the one I shot at ran hard. 300yards with a 223 and 55gr Nosler Varmageddon BT. 10min later one of the two pups enters the field and my buddy fires his 22 250 and the dog jumps strait up in the air and trots off. I fire and it does the same thing again and just walks off into some brush.

Any clue what happened here? Both shots fired the dog jumped 2-3 foot into the air but didn't act as if it was really hurt. We checked for blood and not a drop but the one my buddy dropped didn't bleed either.

Another thing that got me was the adult that was hanging with the pups was a male. It entered the field and laid down and the pups began to play in the field. Im guessing the one 100yards away was momma.

Who was counting, how far were the shots? Did you find the 1st pup that you shot at? In my exp shooting on 3 doesn't always work all that well. Did one run 300 yds or was it a 300 yd shot

Quote:300yards with a 223 and 55gr Nosler Varmageddon BT.
Any clue what happened here?

IDK, but latest internet rumors hint at possibility of a new hybrid coyote identified as Canis Latrans Armoredalis which supposedly has an incredible ability to withstand all cartridges whose name does not end in Creedmore or Valkyrie......or, "300yards with a 223".
wink.gif
wink.gif
35101274684_7f485ab6ef_o.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: whyWho was counting, how far were the shots? Did you find the 1st pup that you shot at? In my exp shooting on 3 doesn't always work all that well. Did one run 300 yds or was it a 300 yd shot

The 3 were standing together. Dad was laying down, pup #1 was standing just in front of dad and pup #2 was about 40yards from the other two and Mom was 100yards away to the left of the other dogs. The 3 dogs were ranged at 300yards. He said I'm going to shoot the one laying down you take the one on the left. we fired at the same time and never found the pup because it crossed a creek and I was wearing tennis shoes. The way the first pup I shot at ran it appeared hit cause it did the rear legs tucked type run. When the other pup came out 10min later the 22-250 went off and he jumped and ran and stopped and I fired the 223rem and he jumped again. Dad dropped where he lay.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:300yards with a 223 and 55gr Nosler Varmageddon BT.

IDK, but latest internet rumors hint at possibility of a new hybrid coyote identified as Canis Latrans Armoredalis which supposedly has an incredible ability to withstand all cartridges whose name does not end in Creedmore or Valkyrie......or, "300yards with a 223".
wink.gif
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

I take it 300yards is a bit far for a 223?

Originally Posted By: songdogQuote:Any clue what happened here? piss poor shooting?
whistle.gif
\

could be! I also was wondering with the Nosler Varmageddons being thinner than a v max and being pushed at max load if they didn't splash, frag or heck even zip right on through. Both of us can shoot very well as we consistently kill chucks out to 400yards but we have missed. My buddies theory is the pup seen dad jump at the shot so figured it was just jumping at the sound. I cant believe dad had 0 blood too!

They're only able to hear the sound of a gunshot if you miss. The bullet is going far faster than the speed of sound. The sound could just be scaring them. Think about if someone jumps out and scares you. You might jump too. It's just instinct.

I’ve got kills at 400 yards with the 223. I’m sighted at 200 and anything 300 and under I should kill regardless of coyote or ground squirrel. I shoot heavier and longer bullets though. Pups are deceiving in size though. Probably gutted the one and was just missing the other. Or holding too high?

My guess is they were farther than thought and bullet was falling short, maybe splashing dirt and that caused jumping? 300 yards is long poke for most people and especially such a small target.

I have a personal limit of 300 yds for shooting coyotes with a .223.
Even though I have killed a few just over that, coyotes are a small target at that distance, especially pups.
Among other variables I try to be aware of the bullet drop at 300.
Then I choose to use the .22-250 and it has a limit too.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiMy guess is they were farther than thought and bullet was falling short, maybe splashing dirt and that caused jumping? 300 yards is long poke for most people and especially such a small target.

I am going to agree. I have not seen a coyote take a hit and just jump and stop. Pups sometimes don't know to run from the noise. Sounds like some dirt scatter made them jump, but they weren't old enough to know to run from the sound. I have seen a lot of foxes do the same thing. They either jump at low shots or squat at high shots.

Animals aren't like us, they sometimes don't realize that there is danger associated with the sound. Unless they have been educated before.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:300yards with a 223 and 55gr Nosler Varmageddon BT.

wink.gif
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

This might be the best reply I have read in a long time.

Back