First-time trap/skeet shooter shotgun

Matlock

I'm not an experienced trap/skeet shooter so I'm looking for some helpful information/advice from those that are. My wife and daughter (12) have both expressed an interest in trying trap, but I'm not sure I have the right setup for them and I don't know anyone that has something better they can borrow and try. I'm comfortable shooting my semi-auto 12ga, but I believe they may be better suited with a 20ga. One of the recommendations I've read is that a semi-auto gas gun is a good place to start for a first-time shooter to reduce felt recoil. That makes complete sense to me. Both of them have some shooting experience, but none with a shotgun. I've read good things about the Mossberg SA-20, but being two different sizes, I'm coming to the realization that they may not even fit the same gun. Any thoughts/comments on this topic are greatly appreciated.

As a starter gun the Remington 1100 20 gauge would be hard to beat for a semi auto. If they really like it and pursue the shotgun games, Beretta is the ONE semi auto to have for clays sports. The Remington 1100 will get them into the game without too much start up cost and youth stocks and accessories are easy to find and inexpensive.

If it were me I would have the wife run your full size 12 with light one once loads and get a 20ga that fits your daughter (1100 is a good choice GC). Not much difference in recoil between a lighter weight 20ga and heavier 12 with light loads. Just a thought. Most trap clubs I've been in have some friendly people who are more than happy to help new comers out. Heck when I was a kid a shot many many rounds of trap with borrowed guns.

Last edited:
With the multitude of shells available it is easy to find reduced recoil 12's that are easier on the body than a 20. Find out where the closest bigger trap club is a stop in. Most trap shooters are very open to let new comers handle their shooters and give pointers on what might work best for your wife and daughter.

Thanks for the feedback. I sure like the idea of reduced loads for the 12ga. It saves me buying another gun right away, at least until they each have a chance to get hooked. I will also ask around next time we go to the trap club range. Having two good looking ladies in need of some helpful advice never hurts our chances
laugh.gif

My experience is that when an attractive female hits the range the guys act like 7th graders. Look out for advice overload and be prepared to sort through the good, bad and ugly.

You can take the gun to a stock guy and have them install an adjustable stock pad to the gun! Then set it up for one or the other with an Allen wrench. Go with real light 12 ga loads in a gas gun like the Rem. 1100 like someone said.

Back