Called about coyotes and instead now have a CO elk hunt!

Tracker0721

I called fish and wildlife(whatever Colorado calls it, I think parks and wildlife) to ask about coyote hunting on certain lands and while talking to the guy he informed me that as a student there’s no time requirement for residency! I just bring my school paperwork to their office and they’ll log me in to the system. So now my elk hunting plan is back on track that I don’t have to pay $650 for an out of state tag! I’ll be planning an OTC archery tag with my longbow.

Any tips for how to get in shape for packing an elk in 2 short months? What weight do you guys hike with in your packs? We hike our dog every night so I’ll just start hauling a pack and eating even healthier.

What are some good sites that have lists of stuff I might wanna haul in with me? I’d be planning a 3 day camping trip over the weekends as me and a couple fellow students all have fri-suns off.

Any good archery shoots to attend this summer within a couple hours of golden CO?

Congrats and welcome to Colorado hunting. My tenzing 4000 pack weighs roughly 65lbs-70lbs, but I also backpack in and stay in the mountainside no campsites.

2 days of mountain house meals(6-8)
Bag of trail mix
Protein bars
Granola bars
3L camel pack
2 16oz water bottles
Mini rocket stove
Titanium cup/pot/silverware
Rain gear
Extra camo
Underwater/socks
Game bags
Couple of nice knifes
2x usb battery charger for phone and camera
2x flashlight
Spare battery’s
Basic First aid stuff
Life straw and another water filter system
Paracord
Machete
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag
One person backpacking tent

Then I also carry in with this stuff on me.
Mathews halon 6
Binos on chest harness
Range finder
Havelon knife
GPS
40s&w side arm

Obviously you shed some weight once you set up camp, or if your staying in a camp site near by you don’t have to worry some obvious items. But get yourself a weight vest 40-60lbs and get used to hauling that around it will affect you in higher altitudes where elk are going to be at during archery season. And even if you are used to the altitude the added stress can cause altitude sickness so be aware of that. Otherwise get used to also carrying your bow around for long periods your forarms are gonna love you for that. Best of luck on your hunt and FYI don’t call listen Colorado is pressured bad so they get quite and disappear if you don’t sound right.

Last edited:
Awesome. Yeah I figured I’d need to up my weight in my pack. I went for a hike last night with 20-30#s and wasn’t really feeling it when we got back. We did find a small herd of elk though! God’s were happy with us I think. The herd was able to disappear into a tiny drainage though which was sorta shocking.

When we got down here at the start of the month I got altitude sickness really bad. Throwing up and everything. Slept for a day. I didn’t even have that response when I went to Afghanistan at 11,600. Heat might of had something to do with it. We’ve done one really hike up in the mountains to the top of one and that was brutal.

So what’s the best way to pack in water? If we were gonna be in for 3 days, that’s 3 gallons a person. That’s 24 added pounds! Do you ever bring like powdered Gatorade to boost your water?

Unless you are hunting in a desert area, you do not pack in water.

Ditch the sidearm, get one piece of glass that can locate animals AND rangefind. Skip the machete, and camera, your phone most likely has a camera, use the phone sparingly and you don't need to charge it, it also has a gps in it.
If the weather is not calling for rain, skip the tent, use a bivy bag.

Altitude sickness, is headaches, and in extreme cases lungs fill up with fluid. Vomiting sounds more like heat related.

3 days is not very long. I eat well before I head in, eat sparingly in the field and come out hungry. Unless you are in fantastic shape with no fat on you, you can survive and function well with a calorie deficit for 3 days. After a few of those trips, the calorie deficit is harder to do.

For shoots, Google Golden high country archers.

Also, visit Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear on Kipling St just south of 44th Ave. One of best trad shops in the country.

Back