Woodchuck for dinner?

Flesh Eater

I’ve been smacking a lot of woodchuck lately, and keep wondering how many people eat them. Does anyone on here eat everyone they kill? I’ve heard they’re tasty, but some people have said they’re not worth the time.

When I was a kid my grandma cooked them for us. She cooked them like squirrel. Pressure cooked them for a while then rolled them in batter and fried them in the skillet like chicken. I remember them being good. She cooked lots of stuff when my dad was a kid. He learned fast not to bring home anything he didn't want to eat because she would cook it!

I ate a couple rock chucks once when I was hungry. Small ones. Killed with my bow. Didn't have anything to cook them with except a frying pan with a scant little bit of bacon grease left in it. They weren't bad. Kinda greasy, but, for a hungry guy, not too bad.

- DAA

Eastern Woodchuck that has been eating clover or alfalfa is great eating. Remove as much fat from the back legs and saddle, par boil them, and marinate them in buttermilk overnight. Cook them up like you would a beef pot roast with similar spicing and they do taste a lot like beef pot roast.

Originally Posted By: 762x39 Eastern Woodchuck that has been eating clover or alfalfa is great eating. Remove as much fat from the back legs and saddle, par boil them, and marinate them in buttermilk overnight. Cook them up like you would a beef pot roast with similar spicing and they do taste a lot like beef pot roast.

I might have to try this. Do you quarter them up, or cook them whole? My wife makes this Mississippi-style pot roast in the crock that's delicious. It works well with venison, so I'm sure it could work with chuck.

My grandmother used to can then cut meat up in small pieces put in a masson jar a clove of garlic cook .we ate this in the winter time .she would put the meat in a cast iron pan get it hot put a little flower in to make gravy . usually over mashed potatoes. Me and my brother shot them all summer long till grandma said no more . usually. 25 to 35 quarts.

I ate some many years ago, one lesson I learned was to eat only the younger ones, the big ones can taste strong. My mother soaked them in vinegar water and then breaded and fried them, they were actually pretty good! I also saved all the livers for catfish fishing in the lower Delaware, we froze them and then used them as we needed them.

The big ones need to be par-boiled for about an hour. I quarter them then put the quarters in a baking pan and cover them with cream of mushroom soup, cook them on the grill.

Last edited:
Back