Browning AB3?

IdCoyote

I was wandering through Sportsmans Warehouse and saw a Browning AB3 in 7mm Rem Mag on a good sale that caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with one? Is it capable of moa? I do reload if that helps. Am I better off saving a few more dollars to get the x-bolt? I shoot left handed and saw a lefty Tikka in 7mm rem mag that I liked too but it seems I hear a lot of people complain about the stock design/recoil. There was also a Kimber Hunter in .270 that I liked but seems almost too light
smile.gif
Recoil doesn't really bother me, but I'd like something I can shoot and enjoy after several rounds. My main rifle at the moment is a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag that I want to retire to the safe for sentimental reasons and get a new workhorse. This rifle's main use will be elk, mule deer, wolf, and bear in rougher country on foot with an occasional horse/atv hunt thrown in. Thanks for any input on your experience with any of these and happy trails.

Originally Posted By: greengt88A-bolt or A-bolt 2, 3's are junk.

What problems did you encounter with them? How does the x-bolt stack up in your opinion? Thanks.

ive only owned an AB2, very nice rifle, fit and finish was impressive, it was a stainless stalker 22-250...ive only handled an AB3 and it was in the league of Axis, X7, basicqlly a low end budget rifle...a long ahot from the older AB2...i assume the AB is along the lines of a Howa 1500, id class the AB2 with a Tikka...i urge u to go handle all of them...im aure u'll go with a 1 or 2

Won a 300wsm in a raffle,
Shoots 165 gr. tipped triple shocks under an inch
Only load tried so far
Have only killed 1 coyote-made a BIG mess

Originally Posted By: greengt88ive only owned an AB2, very nice rifle, fit and finish was impressive, it was a stainless stalker 22-250...ive only handled an AB3 and it was in the league of Axis, X7, basicqlly a low end budget rifle...a long ahot from the older AB2...i assume the AB is along the lines of a Howa 1500, id class the AB2 with a Tikka...i urge u to go handle all of them...im aure u'll go with a 1 or 2

Thanks for the comment, which is about on par with my initial thought. I think this go around I want a nicer finished rifle like my model 70. The ab3 was $399 and I was wondering if the accuracy was there because that would leave me enough jingle in my pocket for some better glass, but I'll hang onto my cash and try for something higher end. I just want a prettier rifle to fondle! Thanks again and happy trails.

Originally Posted By: shermanrmWon a 300wsm in a raffle,
Shoots 165 gr. tipped triple shocks under an inch
Only load tried so far
Have only killed 1 coyote-made a BIG mess

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear they can do moa! I'm sure that 300wsm did a number on that coyote! Happy trails.

Originally Posted By: IdCoyoteI was wandering through Sportsmans Warehouse and saw a Browning AB3 in 7mm Rem Mag on a good sale that caught my eye. Anyone have any experience with one? Is it capable of moa? I do reload if that helps. Am I better off saving a few more dollars to get the x-bolt? I shoot left handed and saw a lefty Tikka in 7mm rem mag that I liked too but it seems I hear a lot of people complain about the stock design/recoil. There was also a Kimber Hunter in .270 that I liked but seems almost too light
smile.gif
Recoil doesn't really bother me, but I'd like something I can shoot and enjoy after several rounds. My main rifle at the moment is a Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag that I want to retire to the safe for sentimental reasons and get a new workhorse. This rifle's main use will be elk, mule deer, wolf, and bear in rougher country on foot with an occasional horse/atv hunt thrown in. Thanks for any input on your experience with any of these and happy trails.

I have been looking at picking up an AB3 Composite Stalker in 243 Win.
I know it's not a high end rifle, but it will work for what I want to use it for and if it gets scratched or dinged I'll get over it pretty quick. I bet it will be a shooter too.

Robert

Last edited:
I have an AB3 in 30-06. It is a great shooting rifle. It shoots Federal Trophy Copper 168 gr just under 1" at 100 yards. It is my favorite rifle. I've killed whitetail, mule deer, and antelope with it.
It isn't as refined or fancy as an ABII or XBolt, but it is not junk.

Back