6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or .223 AR?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
w00t.gif

Indeed!!
laugh.gif

Oh, I will. Probably before the weekend. I just figured someone knew enough about reloading for the Swedish Mauser they might know the answer to my question. Thought it was a simple one. Guess not.

Originally Posted By: Chris623Oh, I will. Probably before the weekend. I just figured someone knew enough about reloading for the Swedish Mauser they might know the answer to my question. Thought it was a simple one. Guess not.

I load for two 6.5x55 Swede rifles but neither of them are Swedish Mausers. And I load each of them to a different COL based on the barrel and magazine. One of them is a Ruger No 1 so magazine length is not an issue.

Maybe look in a reloading manual if getting the rifle out of a safe is too much effort to expend? Maybe you'll get lucky....
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Like I said, I'll get to it by the weekend. Was just asking out of curiosity. No big deal. Didn't mean to bother anyone. The answer to the question I asked isn't in any book.

Originally Posted By: Chris623
rolleyes.gif

Like I said, I'll get to it by the weekend. Was just asking out of curiosity. No big deal. Didn't mean to bother anyone. The answer to the question I asked isn't in any book.

laugh.gif

You're absolutely right, SlickerThanSnot, I asked the wrong question! "The longest bullet" isn't what I meant. The longest OAL is what I was after! So ya can quit yankin' my chain, guys.
tt2.gif
I'll get stuff away from the safe today and dig everything out so's I can get to the Swede and get everything measured.

My Nosler book says the Maximum OACL is 3.150 and tested OACL is 3.025 with the 140 Partition bullet. Reloader 22 was the most accurate powder tested. Without checking the actual chamber/throat length its going to be hard to tell. Good luck!

I don’t know if you can believe Wikipedia but here is what is posted about the twist for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser barrels.

“ Swedish Mauser arms had a relatively tight 200 mm (1 in 7.87 in) twist rate optimized for stabilizing the relatively long heavy bullets used in the Swedish 6.5x55 caliber Mauser rifles”

Most other data I seen indicates 6.5x55 uses 1:8 or 1:9 twist. I know the older 264 Winchester Mangum used 1:9 twist. I think the 6.5x55 Swede might shoot the lighter bullets. A Friend used to drive 85 grain Sierra Varmint bullets to over 3000 FPS in his 264 WM for a ground hog cartridge. The 6.5 Swede is not that much faster than the 6.5 Grendel which usually use 1:9 or 1:8 twist barrels. I’d probably try some 100 grain Sierra Varmints or 100 grain Nosler Balistic Tips. If it shot those I’d probaby test 95 grain V-Max, 90 grain TNT or 85 grain Sierra Varmint.

Brian Litz testing indicates many cartridges benifit from faster twist than has normally been associated with certain cartridges. I just like experimenting with different bullets and powders but I find the 6.5 caliber very versatile and accurate.

Okay, for anyone who is interested.............

My measurements indicate I can just touch the rifling if I seat the bullet to a COL of 3.190". Seeing as how this is a military Swede, I have the longer chamber. SAMMI specs say MAX COL is 3.150". I'm going to be loading a 140 gr Nosler Partition bullet and on their site they show 3.025" COL over RL22 powder as the most accurate load. Of course, they were using a 23" Lilga barrel with a 1-9 twist. My barrel has been shortened and has the 1-7.87" twist as all the military Swede barrels do.

With all that information, I'm planning on shooting my first 50 test rounds with RL22 and a COL of 3.150" to start. The journey begins.................

Originally Posted By: Chris623Okay, for anyone who is interested.............

My measurements indicate I can just touch the rifling if I seat the bullet to a COL of 3.190". Seeing as how this is a military Swede, I have the longer chamber. SAMMI specs say MAX COL is 3.150". I'm going to be loading a 140 gr Nosler Partition bullet and on their site they show 3.025" COL over RL22 powder as the most accurate load. Of course, they were using a 23" Lilga barrel with a 1-9 twist. My barrel has been shortened and has the 1-7.87" twist as all the military Swede barrels do.

With all that information, I'm planning on shooting my first 50 test rounds with RL22 and a COL of 3.150" to start. The journey begins.................

awwww geeze. that information you just gave has nothing to do with the question you originally asked. nothing.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Chris623Okay, for anyone who is interested.............

awwww geeze. that information you just gave has nothing to do with the question you originally asked. nothing.
rolleyes.gif

And you'll never find any of this information in print anywhere either unless you look.
smile.gif

Back