CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel

Unfortunately I haven’t shot my Cz 527 past 50 yards. I put an old 2.5-10 Tasco Scope on the Cz 527 till I decide on a permanent optic.

I did shoot a couple of old flavored bottles of water off hand at 25 yards since the wife said they were going in the trash. Can’t let a good target go to waste, advantage of living in a rural area and being retired, step out the back door and shoot.

The reason I bought the Dip rail is two fold. The Dip rail allows me to use any scope rings which fit a weaver or picatinney rail. The Cz bases require Cz style rings. The canted 25 MOA mount adds 25 MOA to your elevation.

Many scopes have varying amounts of elevation adjustments but most scopes come with the cross hair in the middle of the adjustment range. A typical scope might have 60 to 80 MOA of adjustment. A scope with roughly 60 MOA of adjustment you have about 30 MOA of upward adjustment from center. The canted mount tilts the scope down so your zero(cross hair) is 25 MOA lower. Sometimes a scope will bottom out before being able to zero at 100 yards with a 25 MOA canted mount. With this particular Tasco scope I’m within a few clicks of lowest elevation with the scope zeroed at 50 yards. A scope with 80 MOA adjustment will easily zero at 100 yards with a 25 MOA mount but still have plenty of upward adjustment to shoot a 6.5 Grendel well past the transonic zone of the bullet (1000 to 1200 yards). Since I live and shoot mostly at lower elevation I decided to use the Dip 25 MOA rail. I either buy expensive Cz rings or buy the rail and cheaper rings, the cost was similar so I chose the 25 MOA mount. I only needed about 20 MOA cant but there isn’t a 20 MOA Cz mount to my knowledge.

With the 25 MOA mount I should have enough elevation to adjust my reticle to shoot point of aim out to 1000+ yards. With 24” 6.5 Grendel the 123 grain match bullets stay supersonic past 1000 yards. A Friend has property where we shoot to 1000 yards and I want to try and get on steel plates at 1000 yards with my Cz 6.5 Grendel. There are better tools for shooting 1000 yards but I like the challenge.

Most of my other scopes run out of elevation with the 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s at around 800 yards. The 20 MOA one piece mounts for my AR-15’s is basically the same price as a zero cant mount. I figure it can’t hurt anything if I want to try and shoot my 6.5 Grendel at extreme range. With the 20 MOA mount if I want to shoot my 16” AR-15 6.5 Grendel at 900 yards I can adjust my scope for pont aim and not worry about hold over.

Last edited:
Cz 527 100 yard groups.

I finally got around to shooting my Cz 527 6.5 Grendel off the bench at 100 yards. These are five shot groups and the first shot I used the set trigger. It went off a lttle before I was ready. The next 4 shots I used the standard trigger but it is still a little gritty about 4-5 pounds. I haven’t tried to adjust the trigger yet. After I shot this group I realized the scope was set on 4 power instead of ten power. Considering the first shot was cold bore and went off before I was ready I can’t complain.

8CB853AE-5BA0-4406-9276-2CA903454E70

This is a picture of the second group at 100 yards. I was shooting off a portable shooting bench on a Friend’s porch using a Harris bipod and a rear sand bag that was to small. I knew I pulled one shot but overall not bad. Those are one inch squares. I moved the scope after the first group but the scope moved the group further than I expected. I readjusted the scope and shot a three shot group that zeroed the scope. I didn’t get a picture of the three shot group.

BE647CE0-5010-44A6-A92C-455F9BCE7CDE

I was shooting a 6.5 Grendel hand load with Lapua brass, CCI 450 primers, 31.0 grains of CFE223 and a 123 grain Nosler Competition BTHP. For a completely stock rifle I like it. This load should be right at 2600 FPS out of the 24” barrel.

Back