6mm Remington

br1k

The 6mm Remington is my first choice for my predator rifle. I was also thinking of the 6BR, 6BRA, 6XC. Which 6mm caliber would you choose for my predator rifle? I have a new 6mm barrel, 8 twist. Please keep with 6mm calibers.

I have a 700 short action, so the 6/06 isn't an option. It is a very good caliber, but wont' suit my needs.

My 6-284 is built on a short action Rem 700 and it is a coyote killing machine.

I don't know that you really need a 8 twist for most predator bullets but if that's what you already have it'll certainly work.

If you were looking to get the max velocity from a 6-284 you'd start with a long action but it's not like you'll be lacking for case capacity even building it on a short action and even built on a short action a 6-284 will still out run just about all the others that can be built on a SA using a standard bolt face.

I bought 200 rounds of 6.5-284 Lapua brass when I had my 6-284 built and I'm still using all of that same brass.

I have a 6mm Crusader which is basically a 6mm Rem AI. But this has a 32 degree shoulder, nice long neck and a gain twist barrel. Shoots 105's at 3385 easily. Last barrel went over 2200 rounds.

Also run a 6mm Creed shooting 105's at 3080.

I have a Tikka 270 that I'm looking to re barrel into some type of 6mm Nuclear cartridge too. Not picky on barrel life. I want smooth cycling and flat trajectory. Some PM members suggested the 22-243. The 243 SLR, or the Competition Match, 6x47 lapua, 6xc, and on, and on.
Like others have said. Just put them all in a hat, pic one, and ride with it. For me, the 6mm-06 looks the easiest. The 6BR's types might have cycling issues, (or not). I have never had a rifle that cycles as smooth as this Tikka. I am in no rush. Bix'n Andy still hasn't made a two stage trigger for it yet. Im going to shoot my 270 barrel out first with the 110 Vmaxes, 110 pro hunters, Game Kings, or Berger's.
No pd's for me. Im Just sniping coyotes at distance. I have never had a 6mm Rem, but I would just go with that, unless you want more of a challenge. I have been asking myself the same question, and I have yet to make up my mind. Have fun with it! I know I am!

Originally Posted By: 243kimber For me, the 6mm-06 looks the easiest.

It's a great cartridge and easy one-step process of necking down 25-06 brass. Mine has a 26" Krieger fluted stainless that loves 75 gr. V-Max at 3621 fps. It will shoot faster but I like accuracy better.

I have a 6mm Rem in a 700 short action. The 87 grain V-Max with RL-19 will reach any coyote you need to shoot. If you want smaller bullets use the 65 grain V-Max with IMR 4064. No hoops to jump through with it and plenty accurate.

Of the ones you mentioned, the 6xc would be my choice for predator rifle.. the 6xc would feed well from magazine. the br/bra can feed but takes a little work.. I think the 6 remy is more powder than you need and not as efficient as the others..

Back