Speed vs Accuracy

Sykobilly

I wanted as many opinions as I could get on this one so I did not post in the AR section... I jumped onto the new Valkyrie craze and have been very impressed. I have been successful in finding good accuracy but im not satisfied with the speed as I am a speed freak by nature. I love my fast 22 cal bullets. I have a ton of 75gr amax on hand so that's what I went with for loads. I settled on RL15 to try. 60 degree weather in April load measured .556 center to center. 90 degree weather in June load measured .428 center to center. Chronographed last night with a close average of 2860 fps. Not near as fast as I was hoping for. Just looking for other opinions. Im used to the best of both worlds of tight groups and speed. Should I go back to the drawing board or settle on what I have...

If you're plus or minus 50 feet of published you are probably all in with that powder. Id try a few more to see how it reacts. Also some barrels are faster than others. Uf the primers hold abd tge case hewds are good you might bump up but I suspect the new powderroute would be best. That case is not much bigger than a 223 so to me it's not the be all to end all.

You didn't mention barrel length. If you bought into an 18" you may well be topped out also. Internet hype is terrible when the real world showsup.

Greg

Originally Posted By: BowhuntYou said yourself that you're a "speed freak". If that is the case you chose the wrong cartridge.

Well said. The 22x6.8 and 22 nosgar outperform the valkrie in every way other than being able to load 90gn projectiles.

I had a 220 Swift once, settled on a moderate load of RL15 and a 60gr Sierra since it was eye popping accurate, gave up a few feet a second but there wasn't a groundhog that got within 300yds of me that was safe, even if I could just see its head he was in mortal danger, I never missed the speed.

Back