Fleshing beam stand ideas and instruction set on how to build

cambo0420

Hey guys I'm new to trapping and fur handling and I just bought a freedom brand hardwood fleshing beam that is 5x46 inches, I have just been leaning the beam against my leg to flesh and it's super uncomfortable. Any ideas and pictures on how to build a nice fleshing beam stand along with instructions on how to do it would be awesome. And also any reasonably priced fleshing knives would be awesome. Thanks

I have a couple of angle irons bolted to the bottom of one of mine and crossbars so I can hook it over the trailer hitch when I'm skinning and fleshing out in the field

This one I use in the shop the legs are made of EMT conduit, they do fold up with just the removal of two nuts so I can take it to fur handling demos.

I've made fleshing knives from old files, they work. I used and old wood handled one for many years(20 yrs) but the handle split, and have a Wiebe now. For coyotes I like a 12". Minnesota Trappers Supply has a good selection. Even Amazon has them. Here's a link to some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Brand-Sta...=fleshing+knife

Here's a picture of my old wood handled one for reference and some of the tools I use.

Last edited:
Go to the Trapperman.com and go to the "archives" section and then to the "fleshing beams" section and you will see many examples.

Also, google "fleshing beams" and you will get a lot of pictures.

I took a 2x8 and cut and shaped it how I wanted. I have it screwed to a harbor freight sawhorse with adjustable legs. I leave the back legs low and extend the front legs to have the tip of the beam about hip height. It works pretty good for me and it all folds down and I can lean it in the corner of the garage.

Back