Just Bought Benelli SuperNova - Wanna setup for Coyotes - Help

TheGDog

Scored a Benelli SuperNova Duck Gun.

But.. my goal is to do yotes with it.
Live in Commiefornia. So gotta be non-lead.

From research soo far, looks like with Benelli's chokes you can do lead or steel shot. Steel shot up to Modified Choke only as tightest choke to use with steel.

So... to help me make sure I'm understanding this correctly for safety purposes. If I want to shoot with Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote or some other Bismuth or Heavier-Than-Lead ammo... I can't shoot it thru the standard chokes that come with it... and... I also have to buy an aftermarket choke specifically designed to shoot heavier-than-lead rounds if I want to shoot them, is that correct?

Can somebody recommend a choke for the SuperNova for Heavier-than-Lead rounds? I've read they give you up to a usable 70yds of range? Is that true?

I'm new to Shotguns. One of the chokes doesn't look very cared for. Can somebody post a picture of the inside of a choke to show what it looks like when you shouldn't use it any more? I'm pretty sure this one choke should be discarded, just want to verify that my intuition is correct here.

I'm in SoCal so if anyone could happen to recommend a brick-and-mortar place I can buy Non-lead hunting ammo at, I'd appreciate the tip. I'm in North OC.

Also... I believe I read that for those specialized Coyote Choke Tubes.. if you're using Heavier than lead, you don't use larger than size T-shot, is that correct?

This particular shotgun has what looks like the RealTree Max-4 pattern on it. (For Duckers) If I wanted to custom paint my own camo pattern onto this shotgun... since it's apparently a steel reciever, but with a polymer over-mold... is there any special consideration for painting prep? Or would it be fine to just do the usual cleaning/wipe-down with Brake-Cleaner to make sure it's dirt and grease-free? Or would I have to rough-up the surface a lil with fine grit?

This thing has a nice feeling action to it. Prior to this someone gifted me a Maverick 88 20ga. But the foreend on that thing is ridiculously sloppy and noisy! But it got me bit with the bug to try using a shotgun so here we are!

Also looks like I can get a Rifled Slug barrel for this thing so I can deal with non-lead Sabot'd slugs... but it doesn't look like this particular model is drilled and tapped for scope base mounts. Do they have Rifle Slug barrels for these things that have a rail on them that extends back up and over the receiver a lil bit like some of those Remington ones I've seen?

-G

I shoot nothing but the denser than lead tungsten alloy loads at ducks, geese and coyotes. I use the Carlson's extended blue Sporting Clays chokes.The Carlson's extended Sporting Clays chokes are rated for lead, steel and tungsten loads.

For coyotes I use the Modified and Imp/Mod most of the time and I use a I/C or L/M for ducks and geese.

I like the HW13 BB, Rem HD BB and the Federal Heavweight #2 shot or BB much better than the Denser than lead "T" shot. Because the pellet counts are so much higher with the smaller shot.

The waterfowl camo on your shotgun will work just fine for coyotes. You should be able to degrease you shotgun and paint it if you want to. I have done many Krylon rattle can paint jobs on my hunting shotguns and hunting rifles.

First of all. Thank you for replying!

Links? Or mentions of websites/retailers where I can look for these loads at?

What is "HW13" an abbreviation for?
(EDIT: Ah, Ok, Reloading Specialties Inc. Heavy Weight 13 shot)
I don't have reloading gear, so that's a pass.

For 'yotes, should I be buying 3.5" or are 3" sufficient?

I kinda figured that Waterfowl camo should work ok. The one place has a lot of dry grass and it'd look fine there.

The other place is open country Desert Hills. That one won't be as good of a match, but I figured for sure it'd beat it looking like a big black stick!

EDIT: Carlson Extend Choke Tube (in Modified) is on its way.

Last edited:
3" shells will do the job just fine.

If you don't reload you are pretty much out of luck.

Right now I think the only denser than lead loads that are still being made are Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot and Hevi-Shot Goose loads in B shot.

If you do some searching you maybe able to find Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads or the older Federal Heavyweight #2 shot waterfowl loads. Both of these loads work great and have more pellets than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads.

If you can find any Remington Wingmaster HD BB or #2 shot loads, Winchester Xtended Range B shot or #2 shot loads they will also work on coyotes.

I prefer the "B" BB or Federal Heavyweight #2 shot loads over the Remington Wingmaster HD, Winchester Xtended Range or Hevi-Shot Goose #2 shot loads. The denser than lead #2 shot loads are way better than any steel shot loads.

thanks for your time man, appreciate it!

Ugh... now on to the ammo hassles in my homeland of Kalifornistan. (Grr)

Last edited:
BTW... if the ranges are shorter.. like Bow range, 25-35 yards only... wouldn't Steel shot work?

I ask because this one place I go to is thick vast Chapparal, and you're hunting within narrow-ish meadow openings of the tallgrass that present themselves where the trail cuts thru the landscape and where the Oaks grow up along seasonal water drainage routes.

The thought is to use heavy concealment (leafy suit/ghillie suit) and sit near where two trails criss-cross each other and call'em in w/ mix of handcalls and eCaller plus motion decoy.

Last edited:
This should show you just how poor steel shot works. Steel shot doesn't weigh enough to hold it's speed and the steel pellets that do weigh more are much bigger in diameter so they don't penetrate very far.
This if from KPY Shotshell Ballistic program.
Steel T shot at 1600 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 26.2 yards.
HW13 BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards.

So the smaller and slower denser shot has over twice the effective range as the bigger faster steel shot.

Lovely. And I have to pattern with the same loads I intend to hunt with, right? In order to know and have confidence in exactly how they will perform, right?

Approximately how many rounds do people shoot to pattern how their gun works with a particular load? How many shots at that 10" circle? and at what distance to most folks pattern a load at?

Hey Gdog, Your shotgun should be just fine, did you mention barrel length? I like them shorter(22-26”) for predator hunting, but any length will work.

Most will use some flavor of an ‘extended’ choke tube. I’ve gravitated to ‘Trulock Chokes’, specifically the ‘Precision Hunter’ when I want an aftermarket choke. I may shoot anything from #2 or BB to #4 Buckshot through the same choke, so I don’t get the tightest available. For a 12 ga my choke is usually .675 or .680” construction depending on the gun. We can delve a bit further with details on whether it’s a ‘back-bored’ barrel or not.

The real test ends up with a parterning session, just like setting up for a turkey hunt. I use the same Chokes if hunting turkey. My favorite predator loads are non-toxic, heavier than lead ‘T’ size shot. I still have some Hevi-shot and Remington HD from bulk buys years back.

Shots at coyotes don’t come easy so it’s best to have all possible to your favor. I can’t see being comfortable with a 70 yard shotgun shot though, not that it can’t be done. Depending on the hit(s), could easily get a run-off.

Don’t forget the stickie on this page, started by GC about shotgun setup and patterning. Most details should be sprinkled about the many pages. Yes, I would look to the larger shot waterfowl type loads as an option.

I reload TSS for less than you can buy anything else non-tox. You can buy a regular scale and a roll crimper that attaches to a drill, and be cheaper than anything else just after patterning.

There ARE cantilevered barrels available for the Super Nova. There is also a B Square receiver saddle scope mount available for it. I personally use a Burris Fast Fire III on a SpeedBead Mount for my Super Nova Coyote whacker. I also added an 18.5” Carlson’s barrel to shave length for maneuverability.

Wrap it.

urNivdH.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mossy-Oak-Graphic...ak+shotgun+wrap

Robert

Back