Coyote hunting - What scope magnification do you start your stand with?

BJJ223

I hunt the CA deserts. I always have elevation when I select my stand and I can typically see several hundred yards. But, the sage can be pretty thick. It is easy for them to come in undetected and get in close before I see them.

I have seen coyotes coming in from 500 yards out. And, I have had them "appear" at 15 yards away.

Q: If you were using an AR15 with a 1-6X scope, what magnification would you start your stand at?

My considerations:

1. 1X would be nice for the times they appear out of no where at 25 yards away on the move.

2. When the coyote is coming in at a distance, fiddling with magnification is the last thing I like to do. But, even a 75 yard shot is better at 4X than 1X.

3. It is very rare for me to shoot a coyote past 100 yards.

Last edited:
I use a Leupold VX3i 4-14x50 and mostly hunt big open cattle ranches. I sit on stand at 6x and adjust as I see fit.

4.5-14 Burris set @ 4.5 most times; rarely 6 in open terrain.
Longer shots almost always allow time to crank scope up if needed.

Regards,
hm

Yes, in fact that is where most of mine are set and I hunt the same kind of country that you do. Out to 150yrds, 1x Works just fine. There is always time to turn a scope up rarely time to turn one down. I don't think I can remember missing a coyote because I didn't have enough X's but a couple before I learned my lesson by having too many X's. All the coyote guns that I use have 1-3x20mmm, 1-4x20mm, 1.5-4.5x20mm amd 1.5-6x40mm scopes on them even for big open country. I do have a 22-250 with a 2.5-10x40mm but rarely take it in the field any more.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223If you had a scope that could be set at 1x to start the stand, would you do it?

No, I wouldn't use 1 power. At one time I had a AR-15 with a 2 X 7 power scope and I started out with 4 or 5 power.

90% of the time when I am using a rifle I am laying prone in wide open country with no cover. My rifle scopes are 4 X 12 and they stay on 8 power most of the time.

If the coyotes stops between 200 and 300 yards away I will zoom it in to 12 power. If they come in closer the scope stays on 8 power.

Good advice above especially what AWS said, but 6-8 for me. I wouldnt have anything less...but Im used to that power range on even close ups. I shoot with both eyes open and just sort of natural for me to point shoot up close, standing or moving. I call the same kind of country your in and understand what your up against, but thats what I do. You just have to do a lot of calling to work out whats best for you.
Edit..I will say, I dont shoot AR's for hunting, so if I did...I might feel differently?
Mark

I have 2X7 on all my coyote guns and keep them on 2X. If I need 7X it is because they are hanging up out there at 300 yds and so I then crank it to 7X.

I run a 3-10 and keep it set on 3x pretty much all the time. If terrain dictates a lower power than that, I'll pack the shotgun.

No I would not use the 1X. Not this guy, but I'm not you. I use a 6.5X20X50 on a 22-250. I always have it on the lowest setting even if there is zero cover in close. Like most coyote shooters, I would guess the majority are shot at give or take 100 yards. I think many focus too much on being so still. This really factors in, if you are hand calling or place your e-call close directly in front of you. Coyotes will be looking directly at THE SPOT where they heard that sound. Since I use hand calls and howlers sparingly I don't worry about it. My hunting partner and I get away with a lot of movement when coyotes are approaching using e-caller placed in front but off to a side.

So for my long description.... I am very likely going to have plenty of time and opportunity to zoom in, and I do zoom a lot. Most shots even less than 200 are taken at 16-20 power. I want to see all of the target clearly. This of course is a hindrance during multiples because at that power it becomes difficult to acquire runners.

More experience with your setup will build confidence with whatever setting you are on. "I" would never be happy with the low magnifications.

Originally Posted By: BJJ223If you had a scope that could be set at 1x to start the stand, would you do it?

Yes. What power do you start on when you use iron sights? Sometimes guys get lost in the myriad of options. I run a 4-12X scope on my .308

I practice at 4X a LOT at closer ranges. I am solid all the way into 25 yards with it.

When I set up my stands I do so in a way that the coyotes come in, more often than not, in the direction that I want them to. That way I have time to make a decision and adjustments. as an example, I set up a 4 person stand, off the end of a pointed ridge so that my shooters all had overlapping fields of view. The coyote pops up about 300 yards out, right between myself and the shooter to my left. The other shooter was looking the wrong way as the coyote was coming in. I got my scope on the coyote and dialed my scope from 4 up to 12X. I waited and was watching the coyote's behavior as it trotted in. At about 250 yards the coyote stopped and looked right at the shooter to my left. He must have moved and gotten the coyotes attention, so it was time to start the music, and I dropped the coyote.

You have to practice at your highest and lowest powers, a lot. Then make sure that your stand is set up well. Those are more important than what power to start out at.

I start at 6.5 on Vortex because that is the lowest setting. Never been a problem with the sight picture. Also 6.5 is the highest I have used on a coyotes. The scope goes to 20 and I save that for P.D.'s Rudy

Originally Posted By: AWSYes, in fact that is where most of mine are set and I hunt the same kind of country that you do. Out to 150yrds, 1x Works just fine. There is always time to turn a scope up rarely time to turn one down. I don't think I can remember missing a coyote because I didn't have enough X's but a couple before I learned my lesson by having too many X's. All the coyote guns that I use have 1-3x20mmm, 1-4x20mm, 1.5-4.5x20mm amd 1.5-6x40mm scopes on them even for big open country. I do have a 22-250 with a 2.5-10x40mm but rarely take it in the field any more.

I appreciate all the responses. Based on my area that I call in, I like this response the most. I hand call mostly. I have had more coyotes "appear" at 25 yards than at 150 yards.

P.S. I love the guy who said that his magnification is usually set to the exact opposite he needs. That wins the award for irony / truth.

Last edited:

Generally 4x to 5x suits me. I know a lot of guys like less magnification, but that range seems to work well for me.

If your hunting open country, but when you throw in sage, Russian olive, grease wood, manzinita and other assorted desert growth having coyotes appear close in quite often. I always try to prepare for a close in shot when I start a stand. At the convention last year I killed two under 10 yards and my closest was 6 ft last year. I do carry a combo gun quite often but really like to run just a rifle. If they are out 200 yards or further there is usually plenty of time to crank up the scope. If I had to chose between a straight 1.5x(Weaver K-1.5) and a 3-9 I'd take the 1.5 as I'd be very comfortable with it most of the time, I tried a 3-9 and it was very claustrophobic for me. I ran my marlin 218 Bee for many years with a 1.5x scope and my deer rifle wears a Weaver K-1.5(16ga/16ga/7x57R).

Weaver 1-3x20mm

Weaver 1-4

Weaver v-3

Leupold 1-4

Nikon 1.5x4.5

My big scope Sightron II 1.5-6

For me FOV is far more important than X's on big targets like coyotes.

Now targets like GS's, PD's and little stuff X's rule and out come the 6.5-20's.

Last edited:
"I carry a COMBO gun quite often but really LIKE to run just a rifle". Half the picture above are rifle/shotgun combo guns. Quite often a a rifle on 1x is nearly as effective as a shotgun on the close ones, you don't have to pack two weapons, you have everything from you shoelaces to hundreds of yards without have to change weapons and you never have the wrong weapon in your hands when the coyote decides to appear..

Last edited:
Back