for those of you shooting 6.5's

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
im toying with the idea of getting a new long range specific rifle. i spend roughly 2 days a week at a range that goes out to 1400 yards so it seems wrong not to have a rifle that can stretch out. while contemplating what caliber to get it dawned on me that i could also use this new rig for those coyotes that sit on the far opposing coulees laughing at my attempts to sneak into a stand.
the question now is at distance (500 plus yards)how are people finding the long heavy 6.5 bullets to be on fur? if hides are going to be compromised by shooting the bigger bullets i may step down to a 6mm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: reb8600Any 6.5 is not going to be fur friendly.

Not true, I and a couple others are shooting coyotes with 6.5s a getting acceptable results. Barnes or comparable solid copper bullets seem to be the ticket, especially in the 350 to 800 yard spectrum. I have also had success with the 120 sierra match king in the 6.5 x 284 at longer ranges.

Last edited:
I will agree with Reb that in general, the 6.5G with a hunting bullet is not going to be fur friendly. You are going to get pretty much the same result as you would with a .308

I would not recommend using match bullets or target bullets on coyotes. Yes, if you put it right in the sweet spot, they will go down, but they are not as forgiving and you will probably get runners. The only 6.5G runners that I have seen were with guys running target style bullets like the Amax. Yes, the Amax has a poly tip, but the jacket of the bullet is thicker than an SST. So the SST expands faster and more dramatically and results in kills pretty much anywhere in the torso you hit. The Amax's tended to not expand as much.

It is the same kind of argument as guys wanting to use a .22lr to kill coyotes, sure, it can be done, but how many runners and lost coyotes are you willing to take?

I kill a lot of coyotes in the same type country as eastern Alberta, vast snow fields miles across. A 20 to 50 yard runner is always recoverable and beats DRT with a softball sized hole. I shot a 6.5BR for a few years 100 grn Nosler BT worked like a champ out to 700. Now most of my long coyotes are done with the 6.5 X 284 130 accubond is 85% 2" or smaller hole, 10% so-so and 5% catastrophic due to spine or long angle shoulder hits. 120 match king is very fur friendly but yes 10% runners from minimal energy displacement due to lack of bone contact. Big fluffy fat ladden coyotes make bullets perform a little differently than sleek southern coyotes. I buy coyotes from a local here shooting a creedmore with 140 barnes and most need no sewing, he is very careful about shot placement and it plays well with the fur market.

With your question being how is the 6.5 with fur at over 500 yards. The 6.5 isn't a speed demon to start with, when you get out to plus 500 yards the bullet will have lost a lot of energy, I would think it would be ok with fur especially well furred northern coyote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: v2kWith your question being how is the 6.5 with fur at over 500 yards. The 6.5 isn't a speed demon to start with, when you get out to plus 500 yards the bullet will have lost a lot of energy, I would think it would be ok with fur especially well furred northern coyote.

This is kinda what I figured. Normally I would never suggest such bullets for coyotes but as the distances I plan on using it the speed should be down enough. I still have some time before I get the rifle so I will probably have changed my mind a million times between now and the.

My hunting partner built a 6.5 creed ar10. I told him to do a 243 but the name wasn't cool enough for him.

He started out shooting hornady superformance 129 sst. They put soft ball sized holes in coyotes. And holy cow it was noticeably louder muzzle blast.

He switch to a federal round with a 140 berger match bullet. He would hit them, knock them down and they would get up and run off.

We loaded him up some 95 v max. Grape fruit sized exit holes on broadside shots. Head on chest shots would turn the whole coyote into jelly.

All these shots were 170 yards and under at night.

He has since bought a 243 barrel. If you want long range I would look at the 6mm creedmoor

Last edited:
I thought the idea of FMJ's for fur had been resolved. A 6.5mm bullet heavy for caliber at moderate speeds (long distance), especially one made for target shooting, is basically an FMJ. It is not going to expand.

I still have never figured out why some think they need big game rifles to drop coyotes. I have taken many coyotes beyond 500 with a 223. Over 300 yards, I have probably taken over 100. A chest shot with a 55gr vmax with a muzzle velocity of 3050 has never let me down, not at any range. If you think you need more power, use a 22-250 with a 55vmax, never been disappointed with that combo either.

I went the other way, all the coyotes I called and killed last year were with a 17-223. No fur damage there, and I never lost one either.

If you are shooting them and not calling big deal. I don’t want to take the time to know my short range ballistics while calling. I want a laser beam zerod with little chance of shooting over the top of them at 150 yards. I don’t zero my coyote rifles where the bullet ever goes over an inch at any point in time. I can deal with drop

Your friend got caught up with the B.C. junkies. Nothing wrong with heavy for caliber but there is specific uses for them. I take my 6.5 on occasion only if it’s the only gun in the truck at that time.

A 243 is destructive regardless as well. A lot more bullet choices to pull double duty on big game and small animals while also a very viable long range caliber

I second the 143 eldx bullet. Have had acceptable results on bulls, bears and coyotes.... Not recommended for close range fox though..lol

Originally Posted By: 6724I thought the idea of FMJ's for fur had been resolved. A 6.5mm bullet heavy for caliber at moderate speeds (long distance), especially one made for target shooting, is basically an FMJ. It is not going to expand.

I still have never figured out why some think they need big game rifles to drop coyotes. I have taken many coyotes beyond 500 with a 223. Over 300 yards, I have probably taken over 100. A chest shot with a 55gr vmax with a muzzle velocity of 3050 has never let me down, not at any range. If you think you need more power, use a 22-250 with a 55vmax, never been disappointed with that combo either.

I went the other way, all the coyotes I called and killed last year were with a 17-223. No fur damage there, and I never lost one either.

Yeah I fully agree with the vmax working good at 500 both my swift and 22-250 have killed dogs way out there. What this comes down to is I am getting a long range gun to utilise the long range that I have available for targets and I figure if it can serve double duty for coyotes all the better.
The main use would be spot and stalk or bait where longer range shots will be expected.
Calling will still be a good ol vmax.

Im shooting the 108 eld match HORNADYS in my two rugers one RPR one American. They both shot well with it even took the RPR out to a mile with it in WYO. That round kills the snot outa the coyotes too.

Back