Mossberg MVP 308 Review

daddyflea

I bought this Rifle to use with my Silencerco Omega 308 Suppressor. I exhausted all possibilities of getting an Omega to function with an Auto.
11j3ouv.jpg

This Rifle is a Bolt Gun and was replacing a Ruger American in 308. The Ruger American was the perfect Bolt Gun but that Plastic Magazine sucked and the new ones do not use standard Mags either so Buyer beware.

I very much liked the looks of this Rifle. Fit and Finish was great but I saw problems before I ever left the store. The trigger acted a little weird in that pulling from the bottom failed to allow the Rifle to fire. I tried several Rifles before I found one that seemed functional. I later called Mossberg who told me to pull from the Top of the Trigger. If you do pull the Trigger and do not engage the center part (Made like a Glock Trigger), the Rifle will snap but will not fire. It then needs to be recocked by working the bolt. This trigger system needs work.

I hunted several nights with this Rifle and quickly found that the Bolt throw was very long and the Bolt Handle was over size. I could not use the Extended Battery on my Thermal at all because the Bolt hit it. I put on the standard battery but found the Bolt pinched my thumb between the Scope and the Bolt Handle. This bolt would most likely be fine with a Conventional Scope.

I found that the Safety really sucked. There was no way to put on the Safety nor release it without completely releasing your grip on the Rifle. The Safety worked fine though.

The Rifle Bolt was rough feeling but functioned fine. This Rifle was a very good shooter and gave no problems.

In spite of this rough review I liked the Rifle and I will be keeping it. It is not suitable for the purpose I bought it for which was killing Hogs at night while Suppressed, because of the Bolt Throw.

Thanks for the review, this rifle did amazing in the recent Guns and Ammo mag precision rifle issue, it even seemed to group better than more expensive offerings.

I have been considering Remingtons 700 PCR, or the Howa HCR, but after reading your honest review, i think i am going to stick with a traditional stock.

I have had three MVP's and for the most part found them to be good for hunting. The one thing that i didn't like was the single flute on the bolt, no matter how much i polished the edge's of the flute to smooth it out it would still drag when pulling the bolt back on a full magazine.

Originally Posted By: greengt88Thanks for the review, this rifle did amazing in the recent Guns and Ammo mag precision rifle issue, it even seemed to group better than more expensive offerings.

I have been considering Remingtons 700 PCR, or the Howa HCR, but after reading your honest review, i think i am going to stick with a traditional stock.

This make a good point. These people get paid to write great things.
I know, I was one of these people for a few years.
The more money and free stuff the better the story.

This is mine, Remington 700 SS 243win 24in barrel.
The MDT Company made the aluminum stock. Block of 7075 alum.
Burris scope EGW rail and Timney 2# trigger.
I have had the rifle for 5 years. It is shooter.
You can buy parts and do it yourself like me.
You might own a good rifle and build your own.
HS stock are pretty good too.

Nbpjb44.jpg

Back