Getting Steady On a Tripod while Standing

Originally Posted By: hm1996Make only one change at a time to determine which works best.
Try different techniques DRY FIRING, then you can see the results. When you find your steadiest position, practice it a lot dry firing, then take it to the range.

Regards
hm

hm, 100% agree with this! Save your ammo, what you see through the scope when the trigger breaks will tell you what's going on. The trigger I'm using now is just a little over 2 1/2 lbs. and works great for me. I had the same trigger at 4 and 3 1/2 and was missing about every other one. Haven't missed in the past 2 months (nock on wood). Another thing about tripods is that most of the time the rifle is attached at just one point and can only be so steady. Even though some make it sound otherwise a tripod has limits and just isn't going to be comparable to a led sled or bench and bags. I have a couple that are rated at over 100 lbs. and there isn't a lot of difference in how steady they are regardless. One thing I have tried is a trigger stick mono pod under the butt stock. This works great if you have the time to get everything set and lined up but not so much if the action heats up.

Another vote for the dry firing! I do it daily sometimes and weekly all the time. Getting the feel of the pulling the trigger on the Tripod will be a great partnership. Work out the bad habits at home.

Bipod- Forend hand grasps with at least one finger over the barrel, the other fingers holding under the forestock keeping it stuck down to the sticks, when possible.

Or, have your stance very much to one side such that your foreend supporting, or sticks holding hand, can have its upper arm and elbow into your rib cage. Just remember to "Make Triangles" with it all so the support is good and solid and locked-in.

Last edited:
Good video Ed.

I have been working on my Tripod standing shots. The older I get (65) the harder it seems to be steady.

For me after trying various ways I found that my feed need to be both even and facing my target, I use a sling and wrap the slack in my left hand and then anchor my left hand to the tripod. This seems to help me keep myself on target better now.

Not to mention I should probably work on my core muscle groups a little to get back into better shape...
smile.gif

Back