New howa old howa?

deathray

There is a older howa 7 mm sitting in local shop with black stock for $299 always wanted to add a 7mm to my gun cabinet this would be my first howa is there a reason I would not want a older model verses a new model ( improvement in newer one over older ones) if I get it would add a Boyd laminate stock? Gun is in excellent shape

The old ones are pretty darn good! The triggers are a bit rough but can be worked on, or replaced. Boyd's are decent stocks, but do require a bit of work to get right.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The old ones are pretty darn good! The triggers are a bit rough but can be worked on, or replaced. Boyd's are decent stocks, but do require a bit of work to get right.

I’ve never owned a Howa, but I see a lot of positive comments about them on the shooting sites.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: pahntr760The old ones are pretty darn good! The triggers are a bit rough but can be worked on, or replaced. Boyd's are decent stocks, but do require a bit of work to get right.

I’ve never owned a Howa, but I see a lot of positive comments about them on the shooting sites.
thumbup1.gif

I never owned one, but have helped a few buddies with them. They have all be very easy to find good loads for.

We've used these spring kits, they help out a good bit on the triggers.

https://www.gunbloke.com/ecommerce/index.php?rt=product/category&path=1_8

Have 1 older Howa and 3 newer ones. Replaced the older one with a Timney trigger. The newer ones came with the trigger set at 2 1/2 lbs. Just right for me. All feed and shoot very nicely with my reloads. Would buy another if I wanted a different caliber. I own a couple 223's, a 204 and a 22-250. Of the newer ones. One is a ranchland and the others are the Mini model. Rudy

I think Howas in general are the most under appreciated, rifles out there. I wouldn't hesitate, if you find one, go for it. Only thing the newer ones have over the older ones is 3 position safety. GTG

I recently acquired a black hawk axiom stock for free that fits a short action howa. And after owning a weatherby vanguard I’m excited to buy a barreled action for it. I can get a 24” hvy barrel 308 that’s threaded for $360 and a 26” threaded heavy 6.5 creedmore for $420 so I need to make a choice while they are on sale at brownells

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The old ones are pretty darn good! The triggers are a bit rough but can be worked on, or replaced. Boyd's are decent stocks, but do require a bit of work to get right.

Pillaring and bedding makes them perfect.
thumbup1.gif

Back