6.5x55 Swedish Mauser or .223 AR?

Chris623

I've a beautiful old sporterized Swedish Mauser in 6.55x55. Wondering which would be "better" for predators, it or my .223 AR?

I've been using my Mauser to kill yotes around my property for the past 20 years.........so I know it's a good round/rifle. But I was just wondering if the slower speed of the bullet was any hindrance.

Yeah, always go for the neato rounds. I enjoy the unusual and the not so commonplace.

I have taken ground squirrels with my .458 Win mag. Someone else I know has used his .470 Capstick to shoot prairie dogs with.

The Mauser has the cool vote. And there are a lot of good .264" varmint bullets out there for the handloader.

Load your 6.5x55 up with some 120-130 grain bullets and go forth. It will be almost as effective as a 6.5 CM.

But just almost, not totally.......
laugh.gif

I've been doing some research and think the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X would be a great all-round predator bullet. Have never reloaded for the Swedish, so not sure where to start on powder. I've had IMR4350 recommended. Any thoughts from those of you who load for the Swedish?

On occasion I shoot a 6.5x58R Sauer loaded with 90gr bullets, alot with a 22 Savage Highpower (55gr .228 Bullets)

From what I've been reading, the Swedish Mauser doesn't do well with bullet weights under 120 gr. Further research shows the 140 gr Nosler Partition to be about the best all-round bullet............and Nosler says RL22 is the most accurate powder under that bullet. Think that's what I'll start with for now.

I've had really good results with 129 grain Hornady SSTs over Reloader 19. Mine's a Sako L691 - smooth, accurate, and classy. A great hunting rifle.

Based on how your rifle is throated and whether its an original military barrel or a custom, it may not shoot the shorter bullets very well. ~130's should shoot fine - you might have to seat them out a bit to approach the lands, but they will be relatively flat shooting in the Swede.

Anything in the 140's range should shoot very well. IMR 4350 is a classic powder for the Swede but your choice of RL22 should work too. No experience with RL19 in the Swede but it sounds like it works well too. For predator hunting purposes, unless you live in extremely wide open country, I wouldn't waste time shooting the long ELD type bullets in the Swede.

The 6.5x55 Swede is a classic cartridge that just keeps on doing good things.

My cousin is a gunsmith...........or was at the time he worked up this rifle for me. He told me that when the rifle came to him, it was obvious this was one of those that had gone back to the armory and was given a brand new barrel.....and never sent back out into the battlefield. He filled in the scope mount hole in the stock and shortened the LOP by an inch, installed a good recoil pad, shortened the barrel to the fore-grip so it looks like a Mannlicher, turned a target muzzle on it, re-shaped the bolt handle so it's like we use here, topped it with a Leopold 1.5-5 scope and dropped a Timney trigger in it. To say it's "sporterized" is putting it lightly!
thumbup.gif

I love this rifle. Have only shot it to kill probably 15 to 20 yotes and 7 ferrell dogs in the past 25 years. It's never missed one, but it's never done well on paper targets. I'm going to start loading for it and expect to improve that here in the near future.

I feel Blessed to have such a neat old rifle........especially since my cousin put it together for me.

I know we all dislike the thought of a follow up shot. Lets face it, sometimes we mess up and miss or hit it too far back and a quick follow up shot is needed. That is what the AR shines at.

Tom

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTI know we all dislike the thought of a follow up shot. Lets face it, sometimes we mess up and miss or hit it too far back and a quick follow up shot is needed. That is what the AR shines at.

Tom

I fully understand. Had a ferrell Pit Bull (weighed 75 pounds) attacking one of my llamas about 15 years ago. My shot was from about 150 yards and when I hit him, he started running in circles. The second shot was quick and final. Yes, with an AR I'd have been able to fire a couple of seconds faster, but my second shot was humanely quick.

Well, it took a two hour drive to get the bullets and powder, but I've got them in my greedy little hands. Looking forward to working up some loads.

Anyone know the longest bullet that will fit in the magazine of a military 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser? (Mine is the furthest firearm back in the safe and I don't feel like having to pull everything out right now.) I'm just curious if anyone knows the measurement off-hand.

Last edited:
Back