Snake Boots

I see rattlers moving in April/may that are sometimes sluggish til it gets into the 70's.
June/July/Aug are prime for hunting them. They move/hunt more at night during hot weather and like to find rocks or stretch out on the road when it gets cooler down to 75 deg.
The ones that have been most worrisome to me have been the ones shedding a skin they have outgrown and may strike without warning. This can happen any warm month but tends to occur more in July/Aug when feeding hours are long.
Occasionally stumbling onto a grumpy one a warm day in September is a wakeup too.
Getting one with a new thick green hide is nice.

Remember if you encounter one and mess with it they can get aggressive.
If you kill one they can still strike afterwards for a long period of time, even with the head severed. The heart will still pulse when removed and separated.
So they do still squirm in the frying pan.

I've been hit on my every day work boots more than anything else. Any leather work boot will stop a snakes fangs. Where you can run into trouble is not having boots tall enough.

I'm trying to think of a specific time that I've been hit. I can't think of one. I've had snakes strike at me and hit my boots an ungodly amount of times. I will say I prefer pull on snake boots vs. lace ups. They're both hot as all get out so there's not much you can do about that. I prefer to just watch where I'm stepping and take my chances. I've survived two rattlesnake bites already,one without medical assistance so what's one more at this point?lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rudymontanaBoots or snake chaps. I use the chaps but, can't tell you if they work or not. Haven't had to test them yet. Chaps go up to the knee. Probably not tall enough for those Texas snakes! Southern snakes sure do get big. If we get a 5' rattler in Montana that is a very old snake. Rattlers that size are rare. Rudy

Extremely rare. If you run across a Prairie Rattlesnake over 57 1/8" that's a world record. I plan on holding that record someday.

have had many different kinds of snake boots BassPro, Lacrosse, Rocky. I hope they are more snake proof than waterproof because they have all leaked like crazy from early on. My last two pairs have been Lacrosse but they have been the rubber boot kind instead of lace-up. Waterproof is very important to me because I do wetland work for a living and need dry feet. These have been good.

Last edited:
Back