Night Vision Scope - OMG I'm lost trying to decide....

oh_pred_hntr

I am looking to buy a Night vision scope for Coyotes and Fox. Realistically,150yds is probably the longest shot where I hunt most of the time - especially at night.

I've been reading and reading - to the point of having a headache LOL! I'm thinking Gen2 scope but I also read about the ATN-X sight which is digital right?

The rifle will be dedicated to night use, most likely a 22 Hornet and 150yds is pushing it with that.

I'm looking to spend under 2k and think I would like to have 6X if possible..

Last edited:
I 2nd the Armasight Nemesis. I've never looked through the white phosphor but the green is for sure a 150yd scope with a good illuminator. You can get a Gen 2+ for under $2000.00 just about anywhere.

I have shot (in a tactical environment) both night vision(with and without IR Illuminators), as well as Thermal imaging optics. IR illuminators are designed to add to the amount of ambient light in a given situation(no moon, heavy shadows, etc.)

Last edited:
I understand completely!!!! It’s a very tough decision for sure. I still haven’t made one since I had a photon that I struggled to acquire moving animals in due to the fov. I can’t comment on the nemesis yet other than to say I have yet to see a bad review from anyone on here.

I have had very limited exposure to NV tech. I will say that 6x may be too much zoom in many night hunting scenarios. I have used an ATN Xsight which has a base mag of 3x and felt it was too narrow of FOV at times for night hunting. I have more exposure to thermal technologies including a Flir unit and several different Pulsar Thermals ranging from 1x to almost 3x range of base mag. Pulsars have a PIP (Picture In Picture) option so typically have the PIP at 4x. This is nice for shooting but with the standard mag at around 2x, you still can get on the animals better. At 6x, I believe your FOV will be too narrow. I guess it always nice to be able to zoom to 6x but I wouldn't recommend as a fixed power or base power. Hard charges, shooting at multiples, and/or following up for a 2nd shot can be hard with a narrow FOV.

Every person has their own preference for NV and/or thermal. I really like using thermal personally. Many like to spot with thermal and shoot with NV.

I would call a reputable dealer which carries both types of tech and pick their brain for awhile. Tom at Night Goggles has used lots of different brands and options. These are high dollar decisions, so it is better to hear from experts than read a number of suggestions from people who have had limited exposure to all the different options.

Originally Posted By: oh_pred_hntr

I'm looking to spend under 2k and think I would like to have 6X if possible..

I have hunted with the photon, x-sight 2, vampire, and nemesis 4x. If you want 6x and have $2000 to spend you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Nemesis Quick Silver.

Last edited:
I have used a Pulsar rxq30v and a Nemesis 4x quick silver. Both about the same price. To shoot coyotes with I would go Nemesis every time. In my opinion for a weapons mounted unit you get more night vision for $2k than you do thermal. That being said I scan with a 23v Pulsar so I am not without some sort or thermal for detection.

You may consider the 4x instead of 6x. I bought a 6x QS to use this year because I found a guy selling a used one and he accepted my low ball offer. Once I get hunting with it I will report back on using a 6x vs 4x

I just bought an ATN 4K 5X20. After 2 week I mailed it,
back to ATN.That was 3 weeks ago. The compass did not work.
I hope to get a working scope soon. It does some really nice things.
TjKZhIj.jpg

My smart phone is log in to the WiFi of the scope.
It see what the scope sees on my phone. They just need to fix the bugs.

The deer is what the scope see daytime @ 5X with cross hairs
I took the picture with the scope thru a window in my house.
It does good at night with a IR light. I will put a picture up in a bit of a mailbox a 100yds.
This all new tech. I will have a day time and night time scope in one.

ZwvZEbU.jpg

This is at 100yds with a small IR light that comes with the scope.
I was just learning.
It is an interesting scope for $800.

4YS6UV2.jpg

If you are not concerned about video, the pulsar apex xq38 is a great thermal scope for the money. Pulsar knows what they are doing matching up base magnification and image quality

The Apex XQ38 has video capability. You just need an external DVR. Connect that with the supplied Pulsar cable and you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The Apex XQ38 has video capability. You just need an external DVR. Connect that with the supplied Pulsar cable and you are good to go.

This is true, but in my opinion that is more than I want mounted on a gun and would get you close enough in price to make the jump to a trail worth it. In my opinion, the apex's value is as a entry level thermal for those who don't care about video.

A very good dvr is just over $100, so price isn't going to shove anyone into the Trail models, but obviously the Apex with dvr won't be quite as compact as the Trail models.

Back