Starting to become an issue!

erikc838

I'm sure this is simple but I am not seeing it at the moment.

So after my cases are sized and trimmed, taking maybe .002-.004 off of cases, there seems to be a little raised edge that catches on my fingernail. My chamfer/debur tool doesn't seem to clean it up. I have purchased new cutters, thinking the tool wasn't cutting but pushing brass over. No luck. Purchased new chamfer/debur tools. No luck. Trim slow, trim fast. No luck. It appears that it is even on cases that weren't trimmed too.

Soooo, how do I get rid of it? Is it even an issue that I need to fix? I have never had any issues before. A 2-3 second light pressure pass with the chamfer/debur tool, always cleaned everything up like glass before.

The only way to get rid of it is to use the tool and press way harder than needed. Is the trimmer (RCBS Trim Pro 2 with the universal shell holder) wobbling? The carbide cutter has maybe 500 cases through it. Just never had this issue before and now it is happening with everything. I'm afraid it is going to scratch my chambers.

Last edited:
Turn the case mouths on some fine steel wool after chamfer/deburring to smooth out the case mouths. By hand is ok just a few quick twists per case goes fast. Hold down a piece of fine steel lool with one hand and use your other hand to grab a case and twist it on the steel wool 2-3 times between your thumb and forefinger back and forth.

I prefer to shove some fine steel wool in a socket head and chuck it up in a cordless drill, that is very fast. Press the case mouth into the spinning steel wool for 1/4 second. A little OCD maybe but it's easy so why not?

Could it be from a military crimp? I've seen this on some of my 223 brass. It never effected anything, so I never worried about it. Didn't need to trim the brass low enough to take it out. Rudy

Not all get trimmed and it is on those too. I didn’t size since it’s factory new. Just ran the expander ball through to round them all out.

Thought sizing die may of had sumin to do with it.Ive never noticed any on my brass just went and checked some .243 nosler brass that I had just sized(didnt neef trimmed) and they didnt have any "bump" on them.Sorry I couldnt help but hope u getter figured out.

Looks to be something on the brass but on EVERY piece. I purposely trimmed a piece about .030-.040 shorter and used the debur/chamfer tool. All good. Used some ultra fine steel wool to clean them all up, which took FOREVER, but it's all good now.

it's all gone now. It was just a tiny lip on the neck right before the end of the neck. I wasn't trimming far enough (because I didn't need to) to get rid of it that way and it was just under (barely) what my chamfer/debur tool was able to get without pushing down super hard and cutting the **** out of it.

Go to this site and click on reloading page on the left side of the page. You will see pictures of exactly what you are talking about and how to get rid of it. Its over 15 years ago I read it and made a couple case spinners like his and started using a 12x loupe for reloading & brass prep. Really helped my groups. Lots of good reloading info on his site. Thanks Varmint Al.

http://www.varmintal.com/

Last edited:
Back