night vision clip on vs dedicated scope....

fxred

I have been hunting with a borrowed trail xq50 for a few weeks and it has helped me make my mind up that I want night vision. The trail is super clear and beyond awesome but 3 times I have had k-9’s come to the call and some happened very fast and the target acquisition was great but my ability to ID fully sucks. That feeling leaves me too unsettled and I don’t think I will get better at it after 20 years of daylight hunting.

So with that said can someone give advice on clip on night vision optics that are good to 250 or should I be going with a dedicated scope. I like the idea of the clip ons just don’t want to get something that will not be clear to 200 or 300. If anyone has any reviews they would be greatly appreciated. My budget is going to be around 3k for a thermal scanner and night vision optics. I had a photon but the small field of view was inadequate for my purposes. I missed chances on animals that charged in by not being able to find them while moving.

Any and all input is appreciated... thanks guys...

My thought is the xq50 uses a 384 core and the XP models use a 480 core. The 480 has a WAY better image.

Just something to consider before you decide on nv.

The clip on adds a lot of weight to the rifle. I have the Apollo and now use it at a dedicated scope. Knowing what I know now I'd just gone with the dedicated scope. Hope this helps

A clip on that will do what you want it to do is not within your budget. With your budget you will be looking at a dedicated Gen 2 scope and a 320 resolution thermal scanner. It is doable. In my experience the Armasight Nemesis is about as good as it gets for a Gen 2 NV scope.
You can pick up a decent 320 thermal, maybe used, and stay right about at your budget.

If you want to make a trip to Lunenburg County I will let you look through a Nemesis and a 320 FLIR, and some higher end NV and thermal for a comparison.

I have seven clip-ons and love them since I change them off and on all my rifles all the time.

Rarely do I ever use a dedicated TWS although I have a half dozen of those to lend out to friends.

Clip-ones are inherently more expensive than a dedicated TWS as they must be collimated to any day optic.

A FLIR T-75 thermal clip on costs over $10K but will reach out >500 meters at up to 12X power with no pixelation, still useable at 18X.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI have seven clip-ons and love them since I change them off and on all my rifles all the time.

Rarely do I ever use a dedicated TWS although I have a half dozen of those to lend out to friends.

Clip-ones are inherently more expensive than a dedicated TWS as they must be collimated to any day optic.

A FLIR T-75 thermal clip on costs over $10K but will reach out >500 meters at up to 12X power with no pixelation, still useable at 18X.

Wow... I'd love to hook up with you some time to look through some of the set ups for consideration when I make my next NV/Thermal purchase. I've been tripling up on my XP50 payments and should have it paid off by Feb/March.

A 3k budget will not get you into a clip on sight. Your looking at $4500 for a refirb pvs 30. Pvs 27, cnvd lr, a2 lr your looking at 9-12k. I would consider a d760 gen 2+ b/w with a good ir light. It will give you positive ID out to 250 yards.

I wish I would have jumped earlier in the year when Kevin had the nemesis on ebay... 4x for 1200 and 6x for 1450... kicking myself now

Originally Posted By: capitolMy thought is the xq50 uses a 384 core and the XP models use a 480 core. The 480 has a WAY better image.

Just something to consider before you decide on nv.

The XP actually has a 640 core, but otherwise I agree. I tried out a XQ for a month and I also had a little bit of trouble with positive ID. Looking at a coon at 50 yards for example, I was 80% sure it was a coon but with my kid's cat running around out there somewhere I wouldn't have risked the shot. The XP solved that issue, but not for $3k.

( imho ) everything you need that good ID out that far 250-300 yard, is like everybody else saying way above-$$ your budget .. possibly 'Only' clip-on NV 'in your budget' that will get you range you want and good image clarity for shot, is a good used gen3 PVS-9's out there, and the are going to be in the 2-k $ amount . you can easy get up to 8-10 x magnification with it on most nights ,
. I think I seen a couple of those used SS agency kn-203 turn-in's that came back from FAB rebuilt/checked-out for sale over on the sniperhide forum few months back .
if deciding going pvs-9 route, if you track-down a member over there ( redneckbmxr24 ) it would not hurt to ask him if he had one still left laying around . I have bought items from him in the past and he is GTG .

Thank you for the replies. With what I am hearing I will be holding off to make my purchase. Maybe I’ll find a good dedicated scope on clearance around Black Friday or sometime in between. I would love to go the clip on route but with the opinions I have gathered I will be better off going with a scope dedicated for one rifle.

Back