North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit

hm1996

Staff member

Quote:North Korea agrees to ‘complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula' after Trump-Kim summit
By Edmund DeMarche, Benjamin Brown, Serafin Gómez | Fox News

Trump sees 'tremendous success' in summit with Kim

President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a document on Tuesday stating that Pyongyang would work toward "complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula"— a historic concession, which was one of the requirements the U.S. sought at the summit in Singapore.

The historic agreement came after the two leaders held several meetings throughout the day. Trump was asked by a reporter if Kim agreed to denuclearize and he said, “We are starting that process very quickly.”

Trump did not refer to the document as a treaty or agreement.

He also said Kim agreed to destroy a 'major' missile testing site, but did not offer specific details.

The joint declaration states that the U.S. has committed to providing "security guarantees" to Pyongyang.
After their historic meeting, President Trump shows North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un a sneak peek inside the presidential limo.

It's unclear exactly what Trump has promised Kim in terms of security. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to say Monday whether guarantees might include withdrawing U.S. troops from the Korean Peninsula.

Col. Chad G. Carroll, U.S. Forces Korea spokesman, said there has been no updated guidance on execution or “cessation of training exercises.”

“We will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense and/or Indo-Pacific Command,” Carroll said.

Trump appeared optimistic at a press conference after Kim had left the island.

Trump told reporters that the remains of U.S. prisoners of war and those missing in action during the Korean War will also be returned.

Trump said he asked Kim to commit to returning the remains "and we got it."

The president said he has received "countless calls" and letters from family members asking him to help them receive the remains of their loved ones.

A reporter asked Trump if he would be willing to invite Kim to the White House and he responded, “Absolutely I would.”

Trump was asked by reporters in Singapore during his final appearance with Kim on Tuesday what surprised him most during their meetings.

Trump said Kim has a "great personality" and is "very smart. Good combination."

Trump raised some eyebrows when he said he learned Kim is "a very talented man" and "loves his country very much."

Kim, who was sitting alongside Trump at an earlier conference, said through a translator, “We had a historic meeting and decided to leave the past behind and we are about to sign a historic document.”

Trump said future talks will include Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser John Bolton. The joint agreement said North Korea will hold follow-up negotiations, led by Pompeo and "a relevant high-level DPRK official" at the "earliest possible date."

Reporters pressed Trump about human rights issues in the Hermit Kingdom, and the president acknowledged that the situation must improve.

Trump and Kim did not respond to a reporter who asked if they discussed Otto Warmbier.

Warmbier was an American student arrested in North Korean in January 2016 for stealing a propaganda poster and sentenced to 15 years in prison with hard labor. He was was sent home from North Korea in a coma and died soon after.

Trump later said that the meeting between the two leaders may not have happened if not for the death of Warmbier.

Trump said he thinks "we'll probably need another summit"-- or at least a second meeting. Trump said he is willing to meet with Kim "many times" in the process.

In the run-up to the talks, Trump had hopefully predicted the two men might strike a nuclear deal or forge a formal end to the Korean War in the course of a single meeting or over several days. But in a briefing with reporters Monday, Pompeo sought to keep expectations for the summit in check.

"We are hopeful this summit will help set the conditions for future productive talks," the secretary of state said.

Fox News' Samuel Chamberlain and The Associated Press contributed to this report

Edmund DeMarche is a news editor for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @EDeMarche.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/...ic-details.html

Regards,
hm

MERICA
thumbup.gif

i hate to be a downer - but the NK dictators of the Kim family have agreed to a lot of things over the years that havent been true.

only time will tell how this plays out, however this looks to be a good start. lets hope it bears some good fruit!

the fact that fatboy rocket-man left his little hole to show up in public is testament enough to how bad he appears to want things to change though.

we shal see!

Yeah but his family has been dealing with past leaders not Trump. And also it's kinda like saying "your dad was a drunk" it does not define you as an individual.

Sometimes we can go at each other on here bickering with one another thru posts, but if we were in the same room the conversation would be a lot different. We communicate so much thru body language, tone of voice and eye contact and that gets lost through our modern means of communication.

Trump sees that and even said he will know his sincerity within the first minutes of seeing him face to face. I think it was smart and ballsy and the left just can't stand it. Winning

i agree infidel. i'm not completely giving up hope, in fact i'm approaching it with cautious optimism.

only time will truly tell

I'm not holding my breath. The de-nuclearization of NK is a step in the right direction, and helps maintain global safety. However, Trump has been asked, and has mentioned, the human rights violations in NK. I don't see those improving. So, the question will be, when and how will that issue be addressed and how will rocket man handle it?

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI'm not holding my breath. The de-nuclearization of NK is a step in the right direction, and helps maintain global safety. However, Trump has been asked, and has mentioned, the human rights violations in NK. I don't see those improving. So, the question will be, when and how will that issue be addressed and how will rocket man handle it?

Been watching CNN? Because their fuzzy little heads are exploding trying to find something to criticize Trump about. And the "human rights in NK" is the drum they are beating right now. Screw 'em I say. So with that lead in, how about...

One thing at a time? Questions for you, are human rights in NK our business? Or is that for the people of NK to do something about? America settled her human rights issues with a Revolutionary War. We even had a Civil War later to hash out some issues. Just about to have another it seems. We handled our business and a lot of American blood was spilled in the process. That's why we celebrate our freedom and hold it so dear. Our freedom was bought and paid for with American lives and blood. Should America police the entire world on every issue in each individual country? Can America police the world? Is it ok if your son dies doing what a NK son should be doing for his own? Should other countries step in and meddle with American issues? NATO has stated there should be more gun control in America. You ok with surrendering your firearms to a squad of blue helmets going door to door in your neighborhood confiscating weapons? You know, because it concerns other countries so it's for the best in the name of global peace. There a LOT of people in this country right now that are working for that very thing. You good with that?

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI'm not holding my breath. The de-nuclearization of NK is a step in the right direction, and helps maintain global safety. However, Trump has been asked, and has mentioned, the human rights violations in NK. I don't see those improving. So, the question will be, when and how will that issue be addressed and how will rocket man handle it?

The first step is removing the threat by de-nuking North Korea. That process will open the door to remove the demilitarized zone, allow trade agreements with other countries, allow more commerce, and human rights. It is going to take awhile for North Korea to become "normalized" so they can assimilate with other countries around the world. N. Korea will be motivated to change because their country cannot prosper by staying isolated.

i wholeheartedly agree. deneuclearization is just step one. [edit] or needs to be treated as such [/edit] that will let the world begin to open the door - and once its open use that as the hammer to force other changes within the country. here's a taste, now if you want to continue playing on our block, you need to step up a little more, or we'll slam the door back in your face.

i think de-nuking the Korean peninsula is a large enough first step, that we can worry about other stuff *after* we're on a positive track for this.

trump is also pushing the POW/MIA thing right now too.... so we do appear to be headed in the right direction, and no sanctions have been removed yet.

lets let the Kim Regeime come to accept that its going to have to play by a new set of rules in its own time, instead of trying to beat them over the head with it all on day one.

These knuckleheads beleive enough of their own propaganda, so i feel if we try to push too hard and take away their feeling that *THEY* are making the decisions instead of being forced to do so, that this whole thing could unravel in a hot minute if we push too hard to quick now that the ball is rolling.

i stand behind my cautious optimism statement.

Last edited:
First step, last step or some step in-between it sure is a nice change from Obama's cargo jet full of taxpayer cash.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterI'm not holding my breath. The de-nuclearization of NK is a step in the right direction, and helps maintain global safety. However, Trump has been asked, and has mentioned, the human rights violations in NK. I don't see those improving. So, the question will be, when and how will that issue be addressed and how will rocket man handle it?

Been watching CNN? Because their fuzzy little heads are exploding trying to find something to criticize Trump about. And the "human rights in NK" is the drum they are beating right now. Screw 'em I say. So with that lead in, how about...

One thing at a time? Questions for you, are human rights in NK our business? Or is that for the people of NK to do something about? America settled her human rights issues with a Revolutionary War. We even had a Civil War later to hash out some issues. Just about to have another it seems. We handled our business and a lot of American blood was spilled in the process. That's why we celebrate our freedom and hold it so dear. Our freedom was bought and paid for with American lives and blood. Should America police the entire world on every issue in each individual country? Can America police the world? Is it ok if your son dies doing what a NK son should be doing for his own? Should other countries step in and meddle with American issues? NATO has stated there should be more gun control in America. You ok with surrendering your firearms to a squad of blue helmets going door to door in your neighborhood confiscating weapons? You know, because it concerns other countries so it's for the best in the name of global peace. There a LOT of people in this country right now that are working for that very thing. You good with that?

I don't watch any major news network's news coverage.

So, we shouldn't have stepped in and helped the Europeans or Chinese during WWII? I mean, those weren't our issues until Germany and Japan declared war on us, and yet we were shipping boat loads, literally, of supplies to the allies long before war was declared on us.

I agree, we should keep our business, our business, but there comes a point when it gets harder and harder to turn a blind eye to human suffering. Of course, I guess the rest of the world has been doing it in Africa, so I guess NK shouldn't be any different.

I'm also certain that by turning a blind eye to situations like NK's prison camps and such the rest of allies will surely be willing to back us up IF a global war broke out, right? Don't you think us saying screw them might give China, Japan, and SK a bad taste for American principle?

Our founders had it right when they said we shouldn't entertain treaties with foreign nations. However, that was lost long ago, and now we're playing on a globally sized ball field. I doubt our founders could've imagined the threats that lay ahead when they discussed our future.

EDIT: Also, you forgot to mention the French assisting in the Revolutionary War. Without their help, I doubt we would've won. Not to mention all the settlers who joined the fight from places like Scotland and such with a rich disdain for England.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterI'm not holding my breath. The de-nuclearization of NK is a step in the right direction, and helps maintain global safety. However, Trump has been asked, and has mentioned, the human rights violations in NK. I don't see those improving. So, the question will be, when and how will that issue be addressed and how will rocket man handle it?

35112055543_0e34c7f7ea_o.jpg

We live in a world in which (especially) the younger generations have expectations of instant gratification. It has taken three generations under the rule of iron fisted despots for NK to sink into the current deplorable situation, yet the naysayers criticize President Trump's efforts to extract NK from that sewer overnight.

Donald Trump has pointed out that this is just the first step in a process that will play out over the next months and years. Every voyage begins with one step! This agreement is not cast in stone and the sanctions can be reinstated at the first sign that NK is not acting in good faith.

Not to mention the fact that all this has been accomplished in eighteen months, against an unprecedented storm surge from both sides of the aisle!

Personally, I can recall, and sorely miss the days when politicians were Americans first and party loyalty was next. It is time for us to either lead, push or get the he!! out of the way!

Carry on; soap box securely stowed, cap.

Regards ,
hm

I don't know if my comment seemed anti-Trump, or what, but I think Trump is doing amazing. [beeep], I voted for the guy. However, I don't trust rocket man and his regime, and Trump, if he's able to pull off another victory, only has 4 years to make changes. He's done more than any president in the last four decades or so, but that doesn't mean some idiot democrat can't come in behind him and undo it all over again. Trump has set the standard. The real worrisome part of this is who's next?

Also, as for younger generations expecting instant gratification in the terms of politics, all I have to say is waiting more than 17 years for the Middle East to get cleaned up has taught us one thing: the government always moves slowly. But, don't think for a minute that Kim hasn't thought about the human rights violations. He and his regime KNOW they're coming, and I'm sure they're talking among themselves about handling that situation.

Last edited:
So far all we have is a signed agreement that the North Korean government will work with our government to hammer out an agreement on the issues that have been discussed. They have nothing at stake, we have all of the wants, they want the sanctions lifted and then they will start asking for food and other financial aid.

This could be expensive, as it looks we will be buying a peace agreement with North Korea. Lifting the sanctions won't make any money for them, they will still be doing without what we consider the basic necessities plus food. How much of the aid that we do provide will go directly to the North Korean Army instead of the people? I bet we feed his army first, then if anything is left the people will get the leftover scraps that the Army doesn't want.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherSo far all we have is a signed agreement that the North Korean government will work with our government to hammer out an agreement on the issues that have been discussed. They have nothing at stake, we have all of the wants, they want the sanctions lifted and then they will start asking for food and other financial aid.

This could be expensive, as it looks we will be buying a peace agreement with North Korea. Lifting the sanctions won't make any money for them, they will still be doing without what we consider the basic necessities plus food. How much of the aid that we do provide will go directly to the North Korean Army instead of the people? I bet we feed his army first, then if anything is left the people will get the leftover scraps that the Army doesn't want.

That's a guarantee. The government workers and military are treated better in NK than the average Joe. The people are pretty much pissed on by the government, and left to die. NK is like Mexico. They could've been taken down a long time ago, but at what cost? Not with body counts, but money. It's become nothing more than a crater that has nothing to offer the rest of the world. If it did, it wouldn't be so poor.

Former presidents have been paying millions of dollars to NK for years to keep the peace. NK has held us hostage demanding millions of dollars from the US, or else... It's way past time for the US to quit bending over and taking it up the rear from NK and the rest of the world. That includes NATO, the Middle East, Africa and all those little island nations that don't have enough sense to make it on their own.

I wonder what what's her name, you know that woman who lost the presidential election, would have done. Probably given them more money along with all the other leeches who we have been catering to for many years. She would have had a good idea from her predecessor, just load up a plane with cash and send it to NK, problem solved!
Looks like I agree with GC, hey we're only 20 trillion in debt, just keep giving till it hurts and in the meantime watch our own country decline at all levels.

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsI wonder what what's her name, you know that woman who lost the presidential election, would have done. Probably given them more money along with all the other leeches who we have been catering to for many years. She would have had a good idea from her predecessor, just load up a plane with cash and send it to NK, problem solved!
Looks like I agree with GC, hey we're only 20 trillion in debt, just keep giving till it hurts and in the meantime watch our own country decline at all levels.

This "agreement" is the same thing, take a plane load of cash to solve the problem and they promise to stop the nuclear program. This is and always has been a cycle, North Korea will run out of money, and again will do what it takes to get another plane load of money. This cycle of has been going on since the 1950's.

Plus there is the case that China will work hard so there is not a real peace on the Korean Peninsula. A real peace could mean an improved American presence on the China border, they will try their best to not let that happen.

I don't know about the China thing. China relies pretty heavily on American trade. China's economy is healthier now than ever. Not sure they want to upset the apple cart too much.

Back