Wolves do bark

NorthBorder

About 2 or 3 years ago I asked here if wolves bark. I had been hunting and calling wolves when I got a howl back. Shortly later a lot of barking that sounded like coyotes barking like I got busted, but the barks were a bit deeper sounding. JCS271 pretty much set the record straight in that wolves definitely do bark.
Well, a few days ago a buddy of my was out on the last day of the bear season when he encountered a wolf that came within 20 feet of him. He said the wolf kinda trotted away. My buddy was trying to get his phone out to get some video. Well, he took this video.

He wasn't able to get his phone out in time for pics of the wolf but he did record the wolf barking. He said that it was joined by another wolf.
This was in Montana between Whitefish and Eureka.
If this link doesn't work the title on youtube is "Incredible wolf barking".

Yup!
smile.gif

Unless I See them do it with my own eyes, I will doubt it. Critters in the bushes, that I can’t see, seems a little, shall I say...Too Jewish.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 243kimberUnless I See them do it with my own eyes, I will doubt it. Critters in the bushes, that I can’t see, seems a little, shall I say...Too Jewish.
smile.gif

I hope you are kidding. Anyone who has spent any time around wolves can tell you that they frequently will start barking when they detect a threat in their territory. They will never stand there and do it in front of you like a guard dog might, but once they get some distance away and have cover in the woods they'll sit and bark for several minutes to as much as 20. I have lots of recordings of this behavior.

Late to this, but the higher pitch coyote bark compared to the deeper and often louder wolf bark can be discerned also by the hairs on your neck standing up and the shiver down your spine.

Rattling horns and using a grunt tube on a Whitetail rut near Libby, MT, I had two barking wolves scare off the buck I was after...and make me nearly shart with how close they had come to my perch under a tree.

Playing that clip started my dogs barking in the other end of the house. They usually ignore stuff like that, but that one got them going. The little terrier is still barking.

Originally Posted By: pilotPlaying that clip started my dogs barking in the other end of the house. They usually ignore stuff like that, but that one got them going. The little terrier is still barking.

Funny thing is that if your dogs heard that for real in the woods they would not make a sound. Up in this country everybody's dogs will bark wildly when a coyote howls but they (and the coyotes) will ALL instantly go quiet when the wolves sound off. Its pretty weird (and cool) to experience but that is the response every time. Some pretty deep seated instinct at play!

Back