Red Fox

I ran across a wood hand call a long while back a guy was making that really sounded great, as in, I was really impressed. It was an enclosed reed call, but you wouldn't have known it. It had the bark/whistle sound that was great. Bad part is...I don't remember who it was and I cant find it now.

Fox vocals,,I've used enclosed reeds for gray fox forever, and hacked up diaphragm turkey calls for 20 years for greys, and have called up numerous reds as well, although the frams are super for it, a hand call tuned right will do lots of damage.
Here in Kalifornia, we cant use Ecalls for fox so we've had to get creative.
Mark

Originally Posted By: reloader326I have one, pretty sure it's a Primos. I can't find it currently available on their website though.

Do you know the name of the call? Maybe I can find it somewhere online! Thanks

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLI ran across a wood hand call a long while back a guy was making that really sounded great, as in, I was really impressed. It was an enclosed reed call, but you wouldn't have known it. It had the bark/whistle sound that was great. Bad part is...I don't remember who it was and I cant find it now.

Fox vocals,,I've used enclosed reeds for gray fox forever, and hacked up diaphragm turkey calls for 20 years for greys, and have called up numerous reds as well, although the frams are super for it, a hand call tuned right will do lots of damage.
Here in Kalifornia, we cant use Ecalls for fox so we've had to get creative.
Mark

I have a really good sounding gray fox hand call but I can't get any barks that sound like a red out of it! Maybe it's me, maybe it's not!

Seems like something a custom call maker could tinker with
thumbup.gif

Hey buddy, how's it going?

I have good luck making the sound you're looking for with the bunny bomb tone board. I get way out on the tip of it, and then shoot little puffs of air into the tone board. Makes a good high pitched bark.

That gravely, whistle bark is different than a gray fox. Both easy to do on a special stretched ghost cut diaphragm. Passable on certain handcalls...good enough to work... but not going to sound as realistic.
Mark

Originally Posted By: LONEHOWLThat gravely, whistle bark is different than a gray fox. Both easy to do on a special stretched ghost cut diaphragm. Passable on certain handcalls...good enough to work... but not going to sound as realistic.
Mark
Is this something that you make?

Quote:passable on certain handcalls...good enough to work... but not going to sound as realistic.

Mark,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Some open reed calls fly past 'passable' and on to 'excellent' doing the red fox sounds.

As to whether they sound realistic enough also depends on the call being used and also the skill level of the caller.

Here in Ohio, hunting agriculture settings, my buds and I call in tons of red foxes with all kinds of open reed calls using the 'bark family' sounds mixed into our calling sequences.

Back