Getting smell out of tanned hide

So. Dak.

Hello. My 5 year old daughter loves to sleep with a coyote hide that I got tanned. The wife doesn't like the smell of the hide. It's the way it smelled when it came back from the tannery. It must be a smell from the chemicals, I'm assuming. Anyhow, how do I get the smell out? Can I spray it with fabreze?

Spraying it with Fabreze most likely won't harm it if it was tanned decently, but it may make the smell worse once it's combined with what ever it is your smelling.

I'd recommend tossing it in the dryer with the heat turned off with a sheet of bounce or something.

What I can tell you is that if you soak it in Chanel #5 for 48 hours and hang it to dry. Almost any wife will still insist it stinks, and that's not an odor issue. What she's really saying is, "it's dead".... that's the issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FYI - I had to call poison control center recently as my son thought he would suck on the spray tip of the febreeze bottle (he loves to do that with the water bottle we wet my daughters hair down with - he must have thought it was the same thing)anyways - the poison control center told me that febreeze was nothing more than water and perfume - so I doubt it will harm anything on the hide - at worst the leather underside might get a little hard from the moisture until is is reworked with a little night time rustling by your daughters tossing and turning. Hope this helps.

Quote:
I'd recommend tossing it in the dryer with the heat turned off with a sheet of bounce or something.

Been there, done that... works WONDERS. I added in a few towels (shhhhh dont tell the wife) in order for there to be a bit more material bulk to help absorb the stuff that is on the sheet. Ive found that the super cheapo sheets seem to work the best for it. They have less 'stuff' on the sheets.

Another bonus... you pelt is now static free! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well if you haven't got it sorted yet, you can try this-
If it really is a stubborn smell, wash the hide in some petrol (mind you, it might be a bit expensive these days) and then hang it to dry for a few days, and the petrol smell, and the animal smell will go.
If you don't like that idea, you can make up a mix of-
1 gal. hot water, 4 cups soap powder, 2 lb washing soda, 1/2 oz borax powder, cool to luke warm, then add 1/3 fl. oz. of sassafras oil.
Wash and soak skin in this for 1/2 an hour, then rinse in warm water, and re- break the skin.
You can buy sassafras oil from some chemists (drugstores).
Borax is just a cleaning agent you can get from the supermarket.
You can also wash the skin in petrol, then the other formula if you want.
The petrol method can damage some leathers though.

You might try some of the scent sprays that we use for deer and coyote hunting. I make my own, works well on other stuff, might give it a try.

Back