Coyote problem in parents yard

cambo0420

Hey guys. I am having a coyote problem on my parents 3 acre property. It's got a lot of deer which brings predators and we have found 2 fawns that have been killed and some house cats. I was thinking of setting a 330 duke conibear box set. I would use a cage trap but coyotes don't seem to like em and I don't know where I can buy them around me. What dimensions do I make the box set? Any ideas for bait that won't catch a cat? Any ideas would be awesome, thanks

Cats will try to enter a large conibear box with no bait, not wise to use conibear sets around pets. Snares can be set to be cat safe and coyote dangerous.

Conibears are not a good option when untargeted animals may be caught. Some states it is also illegal to set them out of water. Remember you are liable for anything caught including furbearers caught out of season. There are better ways to deal with them.

With only 3 acres, those coyotes are likely passing through well after dark. I would consider what blocks of cover are within a few miles that are the core cover. Any control will be an ongoing, never ending job.

A relative in MI trapped 18 coyotes within 2 miles of his house a few years back. Just the handful we shoot hardly puts a dent in numbers.

Back