Past Versus Present Americans

hm1996

Staff member
"Past Versus Present Americans" is just one example of what is just a couple of clicks away @ NRA ILA Legislative Alerts, where you can also learn what is going on at the national, state and even local legislative front.

Quote:past Versus Present Americans

Walter E. Williams
Posted: Jun 06, 2018 12:01 AM

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent the views of Townhall.com.

Having enjoyed my 82nd birthday, I am part of a group of about 50 million Americans who are 65 years of age or older. Those who are 90 or older were in school during the 1930s. My age cohort was in school during the 1940s. Baby boomers approaching their 70s were in school during the 1950s and early '60s.

Try this question to any one of those 50 million Americans who are 65 or older: Do you recall any discussions about the need to hire armed guards to protect students and teachers against school shootings? Do you remember school policemen patrolling the hallways? How many students were shot to death during the time you were in school? For me and those other Americans 65 or older, when we were in school, a conversation about hiring armed guards and having police patrol hallways would have been seen as lunacy. There was no reason.

What's the difference between yesteryear and today? The logic of the argument for those calling for stricter gun control laws, in the wake of recent school shootings, is that something has happened to guns. Guns have behaved more poorly and become evil. Guns themselves are the problem. The job for those of us who are 65 or older is to relay the fact that guns were more available and less controlled in years past, when there was far less mayhem. Something else is the problem.

Guns haven't changed. People have changed. Behavior that is accepted from today's young people was not accepted yesteryear. For those of us who are 65 or older, assaults on teachers were not routine as they are in some cities. For example, in Baltimore, an average of four teachers and staff members were assaulted each school day in 2010, and more than 300 school staff members filed workers' compensation claims in a year because of injuries received through assaults or altercations on the job. In Philadelphia, 690 teachers were assaulted in 2010, and in a five-year period, 4,000 were. In that city's schools, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer, "on an average day 25 students, teachers, or other staff members were beaten, robbed, sexually assaulted, or victims of other violent crimes. That doesn't even include thousands more who are extorted, threatened, or bullied in a school year."

Yale University legal scholar John Lott argues that gun accessibility in our country has never been as restricted as it is now. Lott reports that until the 1960s, New York City public high schools had shooting clubs. Students carried their rifles to school on the subway in the morning and then turned them over to their homeroom teacher or a gym teacher -- and that was mainly to keep them centrally stored and out of the way. Rifles were retrieved after school for target practice (http://tinyurl.com/yapuaehp). Virginia's rural areas had a long tradition of high school students going hunting in the morning before school, and they sometimes stored their guns in the trunks of their cars during the school day, parked on the school grounds.

During earlier periods, people could simply walk into a hardware store and buy a rifle. Buying a rifle or pistol through a mail-order catalog -- such as Sears, Roebuck & Co.'s -- was easy. Often, a 12th or 14th birthday present was a shiny new .22-caliber rifle, given to a boy by his father.

These facts of our history should confront us with a question: With greater accessibility to guns in the past, why wasn't there the kind of violence we see today, when there is much more restricted access to guns? There's another aspect of our response to mayhem. When a murderer uses a bomb, truck or car to kill people, we don't blame the bomb, truck or car. We don't call for control over the instrument of death. We seem to fully recognize that such objects are inanimate and incapable of acting on their own. We blame the perpetrator. However, when the murder is done using a gun, we do call for control over the inanimate instrument of death -- the gun. I smell a hidden anti-gun agenda.

https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2018/06/06/draft-n2487549

Regards,
hm

At 69 years old,this is how I remember it. We could take our guns right in the school and put them in our locker, or leave in the car. everyone, well boys anyhow always had at least one knife. no one was either shot or stabbed. if we had issues, fists alone settled things. and as far as I know, there were no liberals. that is the biggest change.
Barry

I'm 70 and remember it the same as panhed. I'm sure there were liberals then, but I tent to believe they definitely weren't as far left as they are today, and certainly not in the numbers of today.

Fights were fist fights. Nobody pulled a knife because everyone had one or more in their pocket.Your .22 could set in the corner of the class room till the end of the day so you could go hunting after school.
Everyone was responsible for their own actions. Excuses were not even given and if one was given it just made things worse.If you did something wrong you knew if you got caught there would be no getting out of it.
There was corruption in politics just like now but it was not something to be proud of.Around here the Democrats and Republicans were not that far apart but there was still a fist fight or two at the polls.Election day was an all day fun time. Everyone voted.

I'm only 33, but my dad is going to be 60 this year. He taught me a lot of "golden rules," as I've come to call them, because he was, as I like to put it, "old school."

Some of the things he taught me were as follows.

Gun safety, obviously.
If you hit a man and he goes to the ground, you let him get back up before you hit him again. Only sissies hit a man when he's down.
Never kick a man in the nuts in a fight.
Don't you ever use a weapon in a fight, unless you're outnumbered, then all bets are off. If it's one on one, you fight fairly.
If you do the crime you're going to do the time. End of story.
If you knock a girl up, don't come crying to me for money. You'll get a job and take care of your family, and you'll marry that girl.

All these issues this guy is writing about are stemming from ONE problem, and that's the lack of family. I've read stuff online about parents who are letting their teenagers drop out of high school, because they don't like it. Then they stay up all night playing video games, sleep all day, and the parents act like THEY'RE in charge. The lack of family is the only problem in America. With family, in most cases, will come morals. When the family falls apart, so do morals, and so do male and female teachings.

However, this has been a long time strategy of whoever's pulling strings. How many times do you hear people tell younger people that they have all the time in the world to settle down and start a family? You didn't hear that back in the day. You heard, if you're going to college, then go. If you're not, you're getting a job and getting out of my house. The people who have raised this current generation have been pushing off responsibility for years, saying, "Let them be kids, let them be teens, let them be 21." Ummmm? No? Let them be ADULTS! MAKE them be adults!

Originally Posted By: hm1996

Regards,
hm

While I agree, and understand exactly what he's saying, the video game/movie comment is on par, but not, at the same time. Those video games and movies are perfectly fine, IF...and this is the important part, the age restrictions are enforced by PARENTS. However, there are parents who let their 7 year old kids play Grand Theft Auto, and watch the latest horror flick, regardless of content. Those types of things are having a hugely negative impact on these kids when they become teens. GTA is full of murder, drugs, and prostitution. These are topics reserved for adults. Not children. So, again, it all starts at the core of a family, and/or parenting.

I've shown my kids some fun horror movies I watched when I was a kid. However, I don't let them watch whatever they want, and I know the content of all the films they're watching. Gremlins is an okay, fun movie. I Spit On Your Grave is reserved for the adults!

The first word that comes to mind for me is Morals. I remember back in the fifty's when we were first being told that if we didn't let the child go do what they wanted we would hurt them. The truth has always been that if you don't teach your child what is right and wrong, you damage a lot of children and then the police have to try and correct it. It is and always will be the parents job to teach your children morals, not the school, not the law, it all comes down to you loving your children enough to be a parent. Parents always get what they have taught their children in return.

There is a very good parental guide that has been around for a thousand years, all you have to do is pick it up and read it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluealtered
There is a very good parental guide that has been around for a thousand years, all you have to do is pick it up and read it.

Amen. The only problem is "most" true Liberals won't read it. They've completely lost their moral compasses. Sad, but true.

Originally Posted By: hm1996^^^^^^^^^^^^+1 Too many parents today want to be their kids "FRIEND", not their parents.

Regards,
hm

I'm 33, and have two boys, 8 and 4. I witness a lot of modern parenting, since finding friends becomes rather difficult after having kids, and usually results in befriending other parents as opposed to single, no responsibility people.

It takes everything in me to keep my mouth shut when watching parents, and many times I slip up. I've seen everything from one or both parents spending over an hour trying to get their kid to fall asleep in the PARENTS' bed, kids who are still up at 11:30 pm, kids who continuously throw food on the floor, spill drinks everywhere, refuse to pick up toys, etcetera. It's disgusting.

I know many couples who let their younger than 10 year olds stay up until the kid wants to go to bed. Mind you...that means sleeping in the parents' bed. I've also met a ton of helicopter parents, who are too afraid to let their kids get hurt.

It's insane, really.

When my kids are done eating dinner, they clean up their plates, bed time is at 8pm EVERY night, regardless of the day of the week, and when we're at someone's house, doctor's office, getting haircuts, etcetera, if they play with the toys there, they pick them up. Period. I rarely have to ground my children. Once they know you mean business, everything usually falls in line.

Parents are sissies now a days, too afraid to mentally scar their children, so they're churning out a bunch of irresponsible pricks.

Last edited:
Good show, FE! Kids are looking for boundaries, that's what they do for a living, and they WILL find them. It is up to the adults to set those boundaries.

Regards,
hm

[/quote] I'm 33, and have two boys, 8 and 4. I witness a lot of modern parenting, since finding friends becomes rather difficult after having kids, and usually results in befriending other parents as opposed to single, no responsibility people.
It takes everything in me to keep my mouth shut when watching parents, and many times I slip up.
I know many couples who let their younger than 10 year olds stay up until the kid wants to go to bed. Mind you...that means sleeping in the parents' bed. I've also met a ton of helicopter parents, who are too afraid to let their kids get hurt.
It's insane, really.
When my kids are done eating dinner, they clean up their plates, bed time is at 8pm EVERY night, regardless of the day of the week, and when we're at someone's house, doctor's office, getting haircuts, etcetera, if they play with the toys there, they pick them up. Period. I rarely have to ground my children. Once they know you mean business, everything usually falls in line.
Parents are sissies now a days, too afraid to mentally scar their children, so they're churning out a bunch of irresponsible pricks. [/quote]

This is almost an exact mirror of my life.. I'm 35 my kids are 17 (I was early to parenting), 11 and 9. boy girl boy
Bedtime is 830.
My kids call everyone Mr. or Mrs.
They say Please and Thank You for everything and my wife and I have received many many compliments about their courteousness. That to us makes us feel like we are doing it right!

There's a family a few houses down that has 2 kids the same age as my younger 2 that play video games all day and I mean ALL DAY!! The kids aren't outside EVER and it shows physically and mentally. They're up playing video games until whenever they want nightly. Then the mother constantly complains at the bus stop that her kids are so hard to get up in the morning or won't go to sleep or won't stay asleep or have terrible nightmares if she doesn't load them up with melatonin! But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the hours of gaming
cursing.gif

End Rambling

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterThis is almost an exact mirror of my life.. I'm 35 my kids are 17 (I was early to parenting), 11 and 9. boy girl boy
Bedtime is 830.
My kids call everyone Mr. or Mrs.
They say Please and Thank You for everything and my wife and I have received many many compliments about their courteousness. That to us makes us feel like we are doing it right!

There's a family a few houses down that has 2 kids the same age as my younger 2 that play video games all day and I mean ALL DAY!! The kids aren't outside EVER and it shows physically and mentally. They're up playing video games until whenever they want nightly. Then the mother constantly complains at the bus stop that her kids are so hard to get up in the morning or won't go to sleep or won't stay asleep or have terrible nightmares if she doesn't load them up with melatonin! But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the hours of gaming
cursing.gif

End Rambling

I'm a government contractor. One day a woman I've known for many years where I work, who works for the government, informed me she'd be chaperoning my child on their school field trip. I told my son, "You better be on your best behavior, because if you're not, I'll hear about it." I saw that woman the following week after the trip and she said, "Your son was an angel! An absolute angel! Everything was please and thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am."

It made me feel all right about my parenting.

Now, our bedtime is 8pm every night, but on Friday and Saturday nights we give our oldest boy 2 hours of television time. Sometimes the youngest son will camp out in the oldest's son's room and they'll hang out for the night. But, as usual, they're both up the next day at 7 am, ready to go!

The saddest part of childhood now is all the broken families. My oldest kid doesn't even have kids over for sleepovers, because all of his friends are visiting their "other" parent over the weekend. The second, less likely cause of this, is the stupid "include everyone" B.S. forced by the schools. You can't just invite ONE kid to a sleep over or birthday party. If you give ONE kid an invite EVERYONE has to be invited. Yeah...like I want 42 kids spending the night at my house. C'mon.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Good show, FE! Kids are looking for boundaries, that's what they do for a living, and they WILL find them. It is up to the adults to set those boundaries.

Regards,
hm

Yep!

I remember one night we had a couple over for dinner. Our kids were about the same age. No joke, the mom hovered over the kid while eating, nicely saying, "No, don't throw that on the floor. No, don't throw that on the floor," the whole time the kid was eating. I walked by and said, "You know, if you smack his hand hard enough, he'll quit doing that."

Last night my oldest kid came out to the shop while I was working on my tractor...err...mangling my tractor. He would get me tools, helped me put belts on and off, and even got me a glass of water. After we were done, he said, "Let's build that shelf in the basement!" So...we built a shelf in the basement, and he helped the whole time! You can discipline your children, and they'll still love you. There's a difference between discipline and abuse.

EDIT: And you know what's funny? My kids are SPOILED. I'm not going to lie...they're SPOILED. My oldest kid has a quad, the youngest has a new Suzuki LTZ50, I just built the oldest kid a new bed frame he's been wanting for awhile, since the elevated bed with a desk under it got tiresome with the climbing up and down, etcetera. I mean...my kids aren't "wanting" anything. But, they don't act spoiled at all. They know if we say NO, it means NO. Sometimes my wife and I feel bad about spoiling our kids, but at the same time, when we tell them no, they don't throw the fits, begging for something. It's just, yes ma'am, yes sir.
smile.gif

Last edited:
[/quote]There's a difference between discipline and abuse. [/quote]

I 100% back you on that!!!

[/quote] Sometimes my wife and I feel bad about spoiling our kids, but at the same time, when we tell them no, they don't throw the fits, begging for something. It's just, yes ma'am, yes sir.
smile.gif
[/quote]

I won't feel bad at all. If they are kind, polite, responsible kids..spoil them. They'll learn that good things happen to good people!!

I think this has to do with values, but I think it is mostly overlooked.

How many past Americans supported companies and causes they didn't believe in, but do now just because they want the product or want to save a few dollars?

How many past Americans shopped at stores that used their profits to fight the American's values?

How many "conservatives" now are shopping at walmart or amazon to save a few dollars? How many "conservatives" now cant give up watching football or other sports? Replacing their $500+ smart gadgets every year for something newer and shinier. Same with guzzling down beverages or buying easy fast food when their money gets sent overseas, and then back again to liberal interests.

I feel, through corporate America, conservatives have become just as weak as the average American. They may like guns, work a tough job day in and day out and vote conservative but by and large, who are many of these people giving their money and time to for their frivolous goodies?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI think this has to do with values, but I think it is mostly overlooked.

How many past Americans supported companies and causes they didn't believe in, but do now just because they want the product or want to save a few dollars?

How many past Americans shopped at stores that used their profits to fight the American's values?

How many "conservatives" now are shopping at walmart or amazon to save a few dollars? How many "conservatives" now cant give up watching football or other sports? Replacing their $500+ smart gadgets every year for something newer and shinier. Same with guzzling down beverages or buying easy fast food when their money gets sent overseas, and then back again to liberal interests.

I feel, through corporate America, conservatives have become just as weak as the average American. They may like guns, work a tough job day in and day out and vote conservative but by and large, who are many of these people giving their money and time to for their frivolous goodies?

Most people don't take the time to understand or really care who they spend their money with... Some do obviously but, the vast majority of people are walking around in a fog not realizing how much they are being taken advantage of from every angle and some just flat out don't give a crap. IMO

Congress has about a 13% approval rating, but yet a 95% reelection rate. People are sleeping dude. Or rather misinformed and influenced by MSM propaganda to base their opinions and or are pacified by the bread and circus entertainment, drugs pharmaceutical or street drugs, booze etc etc...

Just the amount of times on this site I hear clowns all the time saying they shop at walmart. It's not video games or politics ruining this country, it's ignorant fools with the mental capacity of a lobster that don't even know how to support their own beliefs that are ruining the country.

These people are everywhere, on all sides, their attitude is "I'm only one person, I can't make a difference" therefor they continue on their destructive path because it's the easiest path to follow.

And on top of all that Walmart only employs about 1.4 million Americans.A mere 1 percent of the total work force.And to top that off a lot of them are old people who should really just die already.
I don't go in Walmart.
The Chinese aint getting my money. Let them get by without.All 1.4 billion of them. Who says one man can't make a difference.

Back