Hope this is the right place for this had to get it off my mind

willy1947

I am an Engineer by trade. I have written a lot papers on engineer stuff. You know boring but useful stuff. After, I retired and have a little knowledge of firearms. I started writing about hunting trips and different firearms. It paid good money for 200 to 300 words. The magazine would get a full page ad if they wrote a story about this new whatever. It had to be good enough for you to go buy it the next day or get you to write about it in blog. After a bit I got tired of the lies just to make a few dollars.
I just read in The American Rifle about a new round. It was everything I could muster to finish it. What a load of crap. But someone out there will want to buy this new round even though it is no better than a 223 Remington, 222 Remington and a 221 fireball will blow smoke rings around it. There are writers who could make you go out and buy pig poop and you would love doing it.
Now what does a fellow do, well I had a Dad and a Marine D.I. who drilled the facts of life in my brain.
Read books; yes, read a book!!!

Ken Waters Pet Loads "THE RED BOOK"
The Modern Rifle by Jim Carmichel
Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders by Parker O. Ackley
Pocket Manual for Shooter and Reloaders by Parker O. Ackley aka PO Ackley
Applied Ballistics for long range shooting by Bryan Litz
The Ultimate Sniper By Maj. John L. Plaster
Small Arms Design and Ballistics by Townsend Whelen
Mildot Master by Bruce N. Robinson
Pejsa's Handbook of New, Precision Ballistics By Arthur J. Pejsa "My favorite"
AND
The Hunting Rifle by Jack O'Connor.

Then you may start to learn what is truth and what is just to get your money.

The hot new topic is .224 Valkyrie. It'll kill coyotes from 8,000 yards away. Just ask all the fan boys. Unless there's some new miracle round now...?

There is pretty much no difference from round to similar round. But you would have time making that argument to some.

I fell for the hyped up crap when the .17wsm came out. Read an article where they were killing 'yotes at 200 yards. Well after buying a bmag and sending it back in they sent me another. Sent that one back and Savage happily refunded my purchase price. They knew the guns were crap. I'll just stick with my Marlin .22mag

willy, you realize that if someone actually reads a book it could lead to them thinking for themselves rather than letting their "smart" phone do it for them. That is a very subversive idea in America now.

Why what would happen to twitter and facebook and all the other brain sucking sites out there?

Originally Posted By: vahunterI fell for the hyped up crap when the .17wsm came out. Read an article where they were killing 'yotes at 200 yards. Well after buying a bmag and sending it back in they sent me another. Sent that one back and Savage happily refunded my purchase price. They knew the guns were crap. I'll just stick with my Marlin .22mag

I usually get flack for my opinion concerning most arms manufacturers, but I cringe when I hear the names Savage, Ruger, Thompson Center, and Remington. They all make fine firearms, but that quality is lost at the bottom. I can't tell you how many times I've held a Savage .17HMR with the intent of buying, and kindly handed back to the person behind the counter to re-rack it. The .17WSM was the epitome of bad manufacturing. The horror stories with those rifles are so plentiful I can't even bring myself to spend $150 on a used rifle. Ha-ha!

When it comes to firearms, I've learned to buy them like I buy my tools. Buy once, cry once. The higher price tags only hurt once, and you'll have a rifle that's good for generations to come.

However, this is all null and void when we're talking about older firearms. Every company has had its peak, and every company has had its decline.

Back