The Good, The Bad & the Ugly

hm1996

Staff member
In years past, I hunted year round, but this old man just can’t tolerate the oppressive S. TX heat & humidity like I used to. I had been planning on hanging it up until fall, but, with my calendar clean last Friday, and the weatherman predicted high temperature of only 94*, wind 1 mph @ daybreak, increasing to only 14 mph mid afternoon, I just couldn’t help myself.

The eastern sky was starting to brighten as we opened stand one with a couple of female invitational howls. Waited a few minutes and tried baby cottontail distress. Sunrise ushered in this lanky bobkitty to the tune of woodpecker distress for a closer look at the Jackdaddy decoy. Suddenly he spun quickly and return to the thick brush from whence he came. He might have detected my slight movement as I tried to find him in the camera viewfinder.

Cats aren't on the ticket in this pasture, but what a great way to start the day!
28629997808_df6e9ea6d5_c.jpg

27632057357_ed2c0c36f5_c.jpg

After the cat's hasty departure, decided to give whitetail buck fawn bleats a try and soon caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Wasn’t sure if it was the cat again or perhaps a coyote which ran a very quick 10 ft. circle into the clearing and right back into brush almost exactly where the cat had just disappeared.

Hit coyote pup distress and almost immediately, this young female coyote came back out of the brush on a heading straight toward the decoy, only to be dropped by my partner’s 87 gr. .243 bullet.
28629990448_3ebf093e91_c.jpg

Made one dry stand, then, on stand 3 started w/bird distress. Switching next to fawn distress; lo and behold, almost immediately a coyote appears on the brush line making a beeline toward the call at a trot. Tried to bark him to a stop, but no sale, so when he angled toward me, I took the shot. Knocked him down (in knee high grass) only to see him get up and stumble back into impenetrable brush.

Another dry stand, then managed to call in a bald coyote (w/fawn distress again) on stand five, only to bungle the shot by hurrying and getting on the trigger when he paused briefly just under 200 yds.

Since three coyotes had already revealed their taste for venison this morning, I decided to serve more of the same and opened the sixth stand with more fawn distress. No coyotes, but three does came charging in to stare at the decoy before trotting off. The heat began to get to us (91* w/99* heat index), so we packed it in for the day.

All in all it was a good day, in spite of my bad shooting, and leaving an ugly coyote to share the mange with his peers.

Regards,
hm

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Good read, PURDY pics, thanks. Be glad you are getting old like me. The alternative ain't all that great really.

GOOD to get out of the house and into nature, BAD that wounded coyote got into the bush, and UGLY is that Texas heat. I hunted Texas one summer and swore I would never do that again. I'll add one word and that is MISERY.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
GOOD to get out of the house and into nature, BAD that wounded coyote got into the bush, and UGLY is that Texas heat. I hunted Texas one summer and swore I would never do that again. I'll add one word and that is MISERY.

Try Florida in August. Went there for a destination wedding once, and we almost became "not friends" after the trip.

That is something about the mange this year, worst I have ever seen. I have also killed and large ratio of females that did not have pups this spring. Could be natures way of controlling a high density of coyote in my area. I killed 5 yesterday that had 3 barren females, the other 2 were males.

That looks like a really good cat judging by its belly in that summer coat. Like your bobcat, I called an out of season red fox yesterday. It was weird where I called him in, the only places I see fox are usually near or in city limits. Fox are rare in my area and if I can ever get a red with a good coat I will be taking him to the taxidermist. You probably have a lot of greys down there?

I'm glad you got to get out Clarence
wink.gif

Well, at least it sounds as if I'm not the only one who's having trouble dealing with the heat.
smile.gif

Yes that was a large bobcat. I suspect this may be the same cat, just a different wardrobe but same address (I know that's the same mesquite tree in the background). Pretty well know where this guy lives.
wink.gif

34818717934_5466a9ac65_c.jpg

27632057357_ed2c0c36f5_c.jpg

Unfortunately, while the maps show otherwise, I've hunted S. Tx. brush country all my life and never seen a fox down here. The closest I've seen was 375 miles northwest.

We don't have the coyote numbers down here that you do, Jeremy, but population is up this year and the mange has been rampant here as well.

Regards,
Clarence

Great pictures thanks for sharing. That heat index made me cringe. This fat boy don't like the heat. I live for the winters.

Back