Illinoi's coyote hunting trip (Pics)

Galen

So I have always wanted to do some predator hunting out of state, Anywhere that was in the westward direction haha

I managed to get a bunch of properties lined up through a friend and I headed out planning on hunting Friday night and Saturday night..

We ended up hunting all of Friday night and only half of Saturday night so we could get some sleep and head back east Sunday morning!
Long story short we were in dogs the whole entire trip I think we made 2 sets that we didn't see a dog and only one of those we didn't hear a single howl back, Seen 27 dogs shot at 12 and killed 8 of them had several runners that we were not able to recover

I had a great trip and was surprised at the number of coyotes out in Illinois compared to back here in Ohio

2140.jpg

Foxpro Fusion
Daniel Defense V7pro .223/5.56
ATN Xsight2
Pulsar Helion
Night Stalker tripod system

Awesome! I've always thought of hunting Illinois, every time I drive down to see my daughter in Arkansas I see tons of dead coyotes on the side of the road. Always wondered how the hunting would be down there, but obviously pretty good

Heck of trip right there. CONGRATS to the crew. You must have had some awesome properties lined up to hunt on. Any video?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!
Yes we had some stellar properties lined up!
And Yes I believe we managed to record approx. 3-4 kill's.. I recorded a double through my ATN but they were close to 200 yards and it becomes a little grainy at that distance when your IR light is almost dead ha

You must of had some hella spots cuz all of Il isn't like that lol! I cant buy a coyote the last several hunts. Lots of educated pressures coyotes here. None the less congrats on a great weekend! What part of Illinois were you hunting?

Last edited:
Thanks guys...
Varminter.223 we were hunting mostly in Fulton County.. I’ve got no idea how the rest of Illinois is haha but ya got some dogs out that way !

Do you ever try daytime hunting out there?
I know your night season is ending soon but would love to make another trip sometime!
Mabey next year...

Originally Posted By: GalenThanks guys...
Varminter.223 we were hunting mostly in Fulton County.. I’ve got no idea how the rest of Illinois is haha but ya got some dogs out that way !

Do you ever try daytime hunting out there?
I know your night season is ending soon but would love to make another trip sometime!
Mabey next year...

I used to day hunt about every morning and evening from mid November until it warmed up around turkey season. I spend too much time hitting the same spots and I never got aggressive looking for spots like I have night hunting this winter but I normally killed 3 or 4 per year day hunting and we killed 48 so far since season opened Nov. 10th. AO that should give you an idea of how tough daytime hunting is around Shelby Co. I hope to expand my range a bit this spring with a bit of day hunting to see if more spots will bring my day numbers up.

Originally Posted By: HellgateWhat bullet are you using? There's some mighty big holes in the front of a couple of of those dogs.

I'm running a 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip from Night-ops ammo
been real happy with them so far!

Back