A few 'chucks

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
Tim had to work late Friday night so we didn't get out of town until about 9pm. By the time we got into the area we wanted to explore and look for some rock chucks the next day, it was past midnight. It was chilly, but not freezing, so we just set our sleeping bags out on our cots under the stars and got some shuteye.

Before going to sleep, I set my camera up on a timer to see if I could get a picture of the stars while we slept.

20180526_Chucks-55-Edit-2W.jpg

I was up before sunrise and had my bedding all stowed and packed away and a thermos of coffee ready in time to sit and watch the sun come up.

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-108.jpg

Tim was still sleeping, but I rousted him after taking this picture.

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-109.jpg

Then we set out to see what we could see. It was unseasonably cold, and windy, and we got hit with rain and hail squalls off and on throughout the day. But, we still managed to find as many rock chucks as we felt like shooting.

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-112.jpg

The three 'chucks above, all got popped in less than 10 seconds. That AR is just a hoot in a target rich environment! We ended up with about 30 rock chucks between us for the day. We also stopped to go to work on a few ground squirrel colonies here and there, with both the AR and my old .17 HMR.

Most of the day though, all we really did, was look for new Jeep trails and see where they went. The steepness of some of the terrain, the fresh mud and the fact we were probably the first vehicle on many of these roads in a long time all added up to using a lot of 4 wheel drive, which, we like
laugh.gif
. That, and taking in the views. A few pics from the day.

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-102.jpg

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-103.jpg

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-101.jpg

There's 'chucks up in them thar hills!

20180526%20Chuck%20Hunt-105.jpg

Too much fun!

- DAA

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Yup. Good pix. And good shooting. I got a place only about 30 minutes from here that has a few chucks on it but they are not all that numerous. Most likely because it is only 30 minutes from here and other people than me like to shoot them too. You and Tim got more in one day than I have even seen in one year I think.

Just about time for another video dont you think?
smile.gif

I gotta say I am a little jealous, just a little. Here in Maryland where a farm might be 200 to maybe over 1000 acres with a house, make that several houses, in view at any given time, well you get the message. That's beautiful county you hunt and some great photos. Keep at it we all enjoy reading, at least I do.

Glad you all enjoy, I appreciate you letting me know!

No more vids Russ!
laugh.gif

Why, not to rub it in - really, truly, I'm not trying to. But, true as true, we saw exactly ZERO people the whole time on dirt. Wasn't till we got back to pavement we got back to the people. Oh, I guess, thinking about it, we did see a couple ranches in the far off distance, and at one point from our high vantage point we could see vehicles moving on a highway 20 miles away. But nobody close enough to us to really count.

- DAA

It looks to me like the only game animals you don't have (that I like to hunt) are Pheasant and Quail. I might be wrong on that. You definitely don't seem to run out of animals to shoot at.

There indeed pheasant and quail around here.

20140101_Walking_Birds-181W.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-196-W.jpg

You would probably find the hunting for both pretty poor though, compared to what you are likely more used to in KS. I know a few guys here that are addicted to chukar hunting.

201355W.jpg

Never tried hunting chukar myself. From what I see and hear, it's pretty dang hard. But that's not why I haven't tried it. From what I see and hear it's addictive for some reason. I have enough hobby-habits already!

- DAA

Great pictures as always. Thanks for sharing your adventures, between the photos and narration, it’s like being there, and unfortunately, “here” is as close to “there” as I will get for a while.

Oh wow! Great pictures Dave! I really like the out of the way adventure you take.
Those chukars make some great table fare! Fine bird to eat.

Beautiful pics!!! My family has moved to SLC from ND and I'm trying to convince my bro to start hunting rock chucks.

Gotta love a Taco, they're great off-road vehicles! I had a first gen Tundra great truck that never let me down.

Back