Putting the Lyman Bore Scope To Work

hm1996

Staff member
As has been pointed out in the recent thread entitled LYMAN BORE SCOPE, one of the prime uses for the scope is to view cleaning results.

With lots of help and great advice from Keith (PM Ackleyman)I have been testing a number of different cleaning solvents on a Savage barrel that revealed a propensity to foul quickly. We first lapped the barrel, which helped a lot. It still fouls more than most, but since I usually fire no more than two or three rounds per hunt and maybe 20/range trip, the fouling has not seemed to affect accuracy enough to worry about.

Didn't take long to choose Tactical Advantage (a WIPE-OUT product) as a superior solvent for both powder and copper fouling.

The following pictures show the barrel after only 2 rounds of 125 gr. NBT @ 2850 fps. The before pictures have no glare from light due to powder fouling blocking the glare.
9" from muzzle after firing (showing both copper & powder fouling):
41668277774_ac0787d9d6_o.jpg

9" from muzzle after a dozen strokes w/nylon brush w/TA and soaking overnight:
41668277594_e6869c5e6c_o.jpg

Note: There was no copper in the above photo; copper color was glare from light.

1" from muzzle after firing (showing both copper & powder fouling:
27521658567_6bac7b9e53_o.jpg

1" from muzzle after a dozen strokes w/nylon brush w/TA and soaking overnight:
41668277234_79f0480020_o.jpg

Again, copper color sheen is reflection from light. Fouling gone.

I then carefully inspected barrel end to end and found only one spot 1/2" from muzzle remained copper fouled:
41489157705_b10004cda0_o.jpg

Repeated 12 strokes w/TA & soaked 12 hours:
41668277054_b5bd660d70_o.jpg

Total of 24 strokes w/Iosso nylon brush (very stiff nylon) soaked w/Tactical Advantage, two dry patches & clean; I think I've found my solvent!

Regards,
hm

Some may have missed that tid bit of information, so I repeated that issue, Clarence!

Those last 3 pictures are big improvements over what you were going through!

Thanks for pointing it out, Keith, always appreciate your input!
thumbup.gif
Following instructions on container is not nearly as effective.

Have you had the opportunity to try this on old fouling? I suspect it might require more repetitions but don't have first hand experience.

Regards,
hm

Back