Why only 5 million?

I have Facebook just to keep up family but I recently started following the NRA and NRA Life Member pages. Some good posts there and it lets Facebook know the NRA is relevant to Facebook members. If you have Facebook, follow those pages even if your not an NRA member.

They have done a lot of good things for the 2a. Sadly, they are willing to compromise. Most recently with the whole bump stock ban. They voiced support of president Trump banning "rate increasing devices". The NRA is powerful because of all of the members they have. Just imagine what if people like the GOA had such a strong backing.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishNRA (life member) claims 5+ million and is the 1800 lb gorilla. We're the ones that get slandered, demonized, accused & named in the news.

NAGR (not a member) as a relative newcomer claims 4.5 million. No idea if it's true. They also claim a lot of credit when something gets blocked, but I've only ever seen them mentioned in a news report maybe twice over the years. How effective they actually are I have no idea. I do know that they put the NRA to shame when it comes to begging for money.

GOA (on again off again annual member, I tend to lose track) claims 1.5 million and is the no holds barred defender of the 2nd amendment. They're what uninformed people thing the NRA is on the issues.

So far as I know now, every other group is smaller at this time. Does not mean that I think gunnies should not support any of them, just stating what I know about their relative sizes.

GOA does pretty good at begging for $$ too. I'm on both GOA's and NAGR's mailing lists, but not a member of either.

when the NRA came under attack - i sent the membership people of both organizations a letter saying as a NRA Life member that they could get me to join their ranks if they stood up for the NRA - even just a simple call to their members/mailing list folks that as gun organizations we need to stand united in times like this to support the 2nd - and got crickets back.

so all 3 groups like to make a lot of noise, but sitting on your hands when a parallel organization is getting a beating isnt what i'm lookin gfor.

Gun rights are bigger than letting your competitor take a beating. and regardless if the GOA and NAGR want to admit it or not - if the media and the left can take down the NRA and its giant grass roots lobbying arm, they wont be far behind.

Originally Posted By: quickbloodThere are many admirable organizations that fight to preserve the 2nd Amendment, however, you only hear of one from the liberals and mainstream media. It's the one they fear and hate the most. It's the one that has the most members, which transcends into the most political clout, the NRA!

Like Vector said, the NRA has had a hand in many tidbits of gun legislation. The left don't really hate the NRA, because they know if they can make them bend, then they'll get ahead. It happens every time. Look at the B.S. with bump stocks. It was used in one mass shooting and now it's BAN BAN BAN! Get out of here with that.

EDIT: The world didn't even know what a bump stock was until Vegas. Now you have Dana all over the news stating "We fully support banning bump stocks." This is more dangerous than people know, because the ATF can't write a law banning bump stocks without banning things like match triggers, adjustable triggers, etcetera, because they could all be considered an apparatus that "increases the rate of fire." A bump stock doesn't turn a semi into full auto, just like a match trigger doesn't turn a bolt into a semi, but that's why ATF laws are so [beeep] tricky.

Last edited:
I would hate for it to be my job to stand before the world and defend a bump stock.
It would make me sound silly and when I defended match triggers no one would listen.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: quickbloodThere are many admirable organizations that fight to preserve the 2nd Amendment, however, you only hear of one from the liberals and mainstream media. It's the one they fear and hate the most. It's the one that has the most members, which transcends into the most political clout, the NRA!

The left don't really hate the NRA
Huh, I think you're wrong here!

Back