20-222

B23

Many 20-222 shooters here?

I just received my Hart 11 twist 20 cal barrel last week for a 20-222 build I'm having done. Curious if there are many here on the PD forum that shoot one of these.

Ok, I was just curious because the 204 is based off of the 222 mag. I haven't heard of this cartridge but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Originally Posted By: KyleWoodsOk, I was just curious because the 204 is based off of the 222 mag. I haven't heard of this cartridge but that's the first thing that came to mind.

It's simply the 222 Remington cartridge necked down to take a .204" bullet. It's not a new thing as PO Ackley provided loading data for it in his Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders/Volume 1 clear back in 1962.

The 204 Ruger that came on the scene in 2004 was the first time many shooters had even heard of the 20 caliber, but it had been around for a lot of years long prior to 2004.

As Winny Fan already mentioned, it's simply a 222 (not the 222 Mag) necked down to .204. I'm guessing the 204 Ruger, 20 Tac, and 20 Prac will all shoot 100-100+ fps faster than the 20-222. It's no particular speed demon per say but I already have a 204 Ruger and a 20-250 so I've got the 20 cal speed demon cartridges covered.

With this build I wanted a fun little cartridge that didn't need a lot of barrel length and I've been wanting to do a build that had more of an old school look to it so this one when it's all done will have a traditional Rem 700 BDL Custom Deluxe look with the exception of all the metal will be Cerakoted black instead of the classic bluing.

There are quite a few "improved" variants of the 20-222 out there, and they all seem to shoot very well, but I'm not looking for yet another cartridge I have to fireform for so I am lazying out on this one and sticking with just the straight 20-222.

Last edited:
I'm a die hard 20 Practical fan, and have one in both an 8.5 and 11 twist....But since I have over 1000 new W-W Super brass from many moons ago I decided to have PTG build me a *short neck* 20-222 reamer. I should have it in a cple weeks. I needed to trim .85 thous. off the necks which brings them down to roughly the length of a .223 neck.

I already had the Redding S-type 222 die and the Wilson straight line seater so it wasn't to bad to get into. I had ordered a 12 twist Rem. Varmint tapper Hart barrel 2 months ago and it showed up in 5 weeks. I have a thousand or so Berger 35 grainers (hope they shoot in this barrel) along with a cple 8 pounders of H-322 from back in my Benchrest days. I have a new 700ADL .223 Varmint with a Timney Calvin Elite trigger ready to drop in. I'm flying by the seat of my pants with this build so wish me luck.

Back