Border collies for decoy dogs?

Waymore

I’ve been thinking about getting into the decoy dog game for a while now and decided nows the time. (Even though from what I hear it’s a little late in the year for decoy dogs). I know most guys prefer the mountain and black face curs but I’ve heard of a few guys using collie/ Australian shepherd mixes as decoy dogs. A buddy of mine just had a litter of border collies and even though it’s not a mountain cur like I was after I’m thinking of taking one off his hands. Anyone have any experience using one as a decoy? I know they’re real smart and have the “herding” instinct I’ve heard is important. Just don’t know if too many guys using them

I had a collie/ausi mix and loved it. Real smart and loyal. Good dog that would decoy and was a good hunting companion in general. Got hit by a car...put him down and haven't had another...that was almost 20 years ago.
Mark

Border collies are really busy and super devoted.If you can live with it and devote a lot of time to them they can be the smartest dog in the world. They need a job every day or they will go kennel crazy and develop some obsessive behavior that is objectionable.

You would want to get that pup no later than 7 or 8 weeks old unless it's played with by a bunch of kids every day then shape it the way you want it.

One of the very big things would be to introduce it to gunfire and make that a happy place and time.

Also I would play tug of war with an old coyote hide to get him used to sight's and smells.

Teach him a command to bite and also a command to let go of that hide or old coat whatever you have.

Teach sit or maybe lie down would work better, that can be on a whistle at as far as he can hear, and also come.

Border collies are bred to herd animals to you. That means that they will get on the far side and try to herd it to you.

You will probably have to call them off to your side.

Border collies are extremely devoted to their owner and will die to please them. If you can understand why they are the way the are you could really have something. If you don't you will hate it every day.

I have not done what you want to attempt,but I did raise and train Border Collies for 20 years. I understand a little about the breed and wish you the best.

Border Collies get run over by cars because they are trying to herd them. You need to stop that when they are thinking about that action, not after they did it and the younger the better.

I had a Cur/Collie cross. She showed alot of the Collie traits. Very smart, athletic and willing to please. Had a different mind set than a straight Cur. Had to handle her softly. She did show the herding mentality, she would run out and lay down on her belly and watch the coyote. I actually came to like the way she worked. I wish I had another just like her. Hands down the best dog I ever owned.

Ive seen a few more straight Collie's that were good decoy dogs, but they would not be my first choice in their pure form. Any breed can do it though, it all comes down to the individual dog. You just never know.

Thanks for all the replies you guys. All of my the pups were spoken for before I made up my mind! I think I’m going to try for a mountain cur or Aussie or collie or a mix of the two. Has there been any more noticed success with males or females? Or is it more dependent on the dog?

I have a border collie and she is the smartest, most loyal dog I have ever owned. I couldn't ever take her hunting because she is afraid of guns. And I have to exercise her everyday, otherwise she goes insane in the house. But I wouldn't own any other breed.

I also had a border collie and it was the best dog a man could have. He died of old age a few years back at the age of 15. I live on a farm and would check the cows every day using an ATV. He would run along beside me until we got near the cows, then he would run ahead and bring them back to me. He originally belonged to my neighbor, but when he was a few month old we bought the farm next door and started building a house. Took him about 2 days to figure out I was going to be outside all day working on the house or the fence. He never left my side. He would only go “home” to eat and would come back. After a year the owner brought his papers over and said, he is your responsibility now. We were good friends and he didn’t really want the dog and never went outside so it worked out for everyone. Once when I was building a new fence along a tree line, he was laying down about 20 yards from me and a coyote charged out of the trees and tackled him before he knew what happened. As they wrestled I grabbed my axe and ran that way. When the coyote looked up my dog got away. I have been an avid coyote hunter ever since. He did have one odd habit. Every night, he would go back to his original owners house and bring his work boots back to my house. Every morning I would take them back and we would share a cup of coffee. He never chewed on a single boot and never lost one. Go figure. Good times. I could fill up a book with stories about that dog. Very, very smart doesn’t begin to describe him. He learned about a hundred words with no effort at all. Just an amazing dog / friend. I’ll stop now. Get a border collie if you have time to devote to him, otherwise he will find his own entertainment and you won’t like it.

Thank you guys for all your replies. I ended up gettin a border collie/ Aussie mix. So far I can tell he is pretty dang smart even for a pup, hopefully he will make a good decoy dog!

Back