40gr 223 bullets

I just built a new upper and all I have is 40 gr blitzing, to get to the riflings with it there's no bullet left in the case to speak of. Looking for a longer bullet in 40 gr.

You want the lowest BC then. Rounder chubbier less sleek bullets reach the lands more than sleek long nosed short bearing surface high BC bullets. Not a heckuva lot of difference anyway if you really want a 40.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: 9322mag Will the 40gr reach the vitals from any angle ? I've considered them but am seeing shots that are facing or going away, Or hard angles. I always try to prepare for worst case scenario. No, it won't. That's a pretty unrealistic expectation for light/fast small caliber bullets. 17Rem won't do it either. Nor the 204. That's just part of the deal, light bullets require better shot placement.

If you want a varmint caliber bullet that will "reach the vitals from any angle" then you either need to use heavy for caliber bullets and/or non-fragmenting bullets. In .224 caliber, you will be pleased with a 45gr Barnes TSX because it's fast, it expands, it retains 99% weight, and it penetrates well. That's as close as you're going to get. TSX work great but cost 4x as much per bullet compared to lead. The 45's are also sometimes hard to find, so the 50gr TTSX may be a better choice for that reason.

PS- a facing shot is a money shot with 40gr Vmax. Aim for the lower neck kapow instant death.

I'm not sure why you want to stick with a 40gr bullet unless you're concerned with selling the fur.

Also in an AR the twist is usually 1:9" or faster which generally favors the heavier bullets usually the 55gr pills or heavier and those bullets are more likely to kill more surely if your angle isn't broadside.

I just built a new upper for fox and bobcat. I've killed 3 cats this yr and tore them up. 6x6.8 with 55 gr nbts. And one with 75 gr v-max. I built a light 223 just for shooting the 40s. I wanted a 20 caliber but barrels are just to expensive and I didn't want a long barrel.

I just finished putting a rifle together specifically for the 40 grainers. Twenty inch with a 1x14 twist and a Wylde chamber. Still working on loads for it.

40 gr. V-max would be good for P.D. etc. I prefer the 52 gr FBHP from Speer. Killed lots of coyotes with that bullet in my 223. Angle doesn't seem to make a difference. One hole most of the time, scrap metal will make a little hole once in a while. I push them at 3250 fps. 11 cents a bullet when MIDWAY puts them on sale. Rudy

Originally Posted By: AWSFor coyote hunting 40gr NBT's have worked well for me at near 4000 fps out of my 22-204, it is my pelt hunting bullet out of that rifle. I find it to be a stouter bullet, not splashing yet not exiting, I do find bits of jacket under the hide on the far side though. I don't trust the 40gr V-max on preds and would PERSONALLY relegate them to PD's and GS's, they do shoot well for me though.

I usually buy 40gr NBT's in large quantities when they come up as blems.

+1

Originally Posted By: DAAHonestly, just my opinion, but I can't think of many worse choices for coyote than a 40 gr. Vmax. And - yes, I've killed coyotes with the 40 Vmax. It was all I fed my .221 and I'd carry it on stand occasionally.

I think the B-tips are better coyote bullets in general. Much thicker base on the cup, better shoulder penetration. But a .223 with 40's just ain't gonna break down coyotes from any angle at all distances. Just plain and simple ain't a gonna do it.

- DAA

Everybody say, "Amen"!

quartering shots coming and going are typical.

flippers and floppers lead me to 55's, Benchmark, cci 450's in 223's.

Heh Rudy the only rifle I hunt coyotes with the 40gr NBT is my 22-204 all the rest get the 52gr HPFB Speer(222, 223, 5.6x50R Mag and 22-250) awesome bullet for coyotes and keeping fur.

AWS I never seen a 22-204 round or rifle. I do own a Ruger 204 rifle. I shoot 39 & 40 gr. bullets in it and really like it for saving fur. I like the 40gr NBT in the 204 Ruger also. I will have to check out the 22-204 on the net to see what it all about. Rudy

the 22-204 is pretty much a 222 Rem Mag Improved, a very basic wildcat with a 30 degree shoulder moved forward(slightly more capacity than a 223AI and by using 204 brass there is no fire forming.

I've also built 6mm-204(think 6mmTCU) and 25-204(257 Kimber) again neither needs to be fire formed.

Last edited:
I got a couple boxes of the Lehigh controll chaos 40gr. They shoot awesome in both my 1-8 and 1-9 rifles. They are real accurate using rl10x for me.

Back