7mm08 powder choices

pyscodog

I'm going to start some load work for my 7-08 using 120 grain Noslers. Just curious what your "go to powder might be. My Nosler book says IMR 4350 was most accurate in their rifle but they're using a Lilja barrel. I'd rather have accuracy over speed as it just going to be a hunting rifle.

Last edited:
Yes, IMR4350 works best in one of my buddies rifles that I load for. I have another buddy that has an Encore pistol in 7/08 and I am loading IMR3031 in it since it is faster burning for the shorter barrel.

Remington 700
Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2 primer
42.0g of IMR 4895
130g Speer BTSP
Shoots bug holes with bullet touching the lands
3000 fps
Deer just flop
We use this load in several remingtons

I load a lot of the 120 Noslers in the 7-08 and I have had great luck with Big Game, RL-15 and Varget. The Ram shot Big Game is the fastest, the 120 Noslers are good Deer and Coyote bullets.

The new IMR Enduron 4166 worked very well for me. I couldn't tell if it really did anything for copper fouling, but it sure was accurate. If you are looking for an accurate light weight bullet try to find some Speer 115 grain hollow points. Not the TNT's, they work okay, but the ones with the big wide hollow point. Not very fur friendly, but they are dead on accurate and stop what they hit.

IMR 4895 and the 120 Nosler worked good today. Better than I had hoped it would and plenty good for a hunting rifle. Three shot at 100yds and I could cover them with a dime.

psyco, that 120g ballistic tip is a lot tougher bullet than you would think, we killed more than a few deer with them in a 7 mag at 3400+fps.

Interesting for you to try a 120g V max, adjust seating depth accordingly.

If you don't care about speed go with a heavier bullet 140 or more. Less wind drift more down range power. I load 160 game kings and 175 smks in my daughters rifle used H100v to get the most velocity out of the 175s. RL-17 and H4350 for anything lighter. 175s kill better from 50 yards to 350 on mule deer and antelope lots of bang flops never recovered a bullet. 162 eldx would be a good choice to. I installed a wyatts extended magazine to get it close to the lands with the long bullets and gives a little more case capacity. Remington 700 sps 24" barrel. 160 and under there's no need for the mag extension.

Last edited:
Since I have the 284 Win(shorter neck) I like the 120-140 bullet weight range. I look to the ‘medium speed’ powders, 4895, Varget, RL-15, to 4350 or so. Not that it matters much, but my 284 and 7mm-08 both have 20” barrels.

Originally Posted By: Randy BI load a lot of the 120 Noslers in the 7-08 and I have had great luck with Big Game, RL-15 and Varget. The Ram shot Big Game is the fastest, the 120 Noslers are good Deer and Coyote bullets.

+1 on the Ramshot Big Game, recently had a load with 140 gr. Sierra Pro hunters give me an ES of 6 fps and shoot sub-Moa for me n a single shot rifle too small for me and a 2x7 scope.

Also had good luck with H4895 and Reloder 17

Back