savage 110 predator or weatherby vanguard

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I am trying to decide between a savage 110 predator, savage 110 hunter in 223 or a Weatherby vanguard sub minute of angle. I will be using it for coyote hunting. i need accuracy out to 400 yards. and will be doing lots of footwork. i do have neck issues so the predator might get to me after awhile. Looking for a 223 since i have thousands of rounds in that caliber. thanks for any ideas! Dave

I know nothing of weatherby nor do I know anyone that shoots one so keep that in mind when I vote for the 110.
I have two 110's, 30-06 and a 6.5. They both shoot great with the 6.5 being the most accurate gun I own. Also I'm currently on the fence on the new 110 lightweight hunter kuiu edition or the predator in 223. Slick looking guns Good luck

Lots of people will go with the savage. Good reliable rifle for the money and lots of aftermarket support. The weatherby not so much for accessories. It’s the same as a howa and I have a weatherby vangaurd in .300 win mag. It has shot sub moa with cheap remington core locts. Best 3 shot group is just over .45” best 5 shot group was like .87”. Haven’t shot any other ammo yet or even started to reload for it. Hoping to find someone interested in long range shooting in the southern Colorado-northern New Mexico to get me motivated! Either way you go you will be happy.

I have two Savages, two Weatherby Vanguards, and 3 Tikkas. All shoot sub-MOA and are great to hunt with. It really comes down to personal preference. You will be happy with either one.

Savage and Weatherby/Howa have their pluses but I quit buying them some time ago.
There are rifles with better triggers, better palm swell grip angles among other things.
Tikka/Sako have out performed them and the newer Sauer 100 looks good with 10 twist .223 I have been shooting a Sauer for a couple decades and most people never get to see or shoot such a nice rifle.

I had the weatherby s2 in 22-250 and it was a sweet shooter. I just needed to sell it for cash reasons. So just trying to decide the one to replace it.

Depending on what neck problems you have, the Savage 110 predator is the only one with comb and lop adjustment. A friend got one a couple months ago but we have not shot it yet.

just work the bolts on the two, i think u may find the weatherby MUCH better. Accuracy wise they should be in the same boat however.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDepending on what neck problems you have, the Savage 110 predator is the only one with comb and lop adjustment. A friend got one a couple months ago but we have not shot it yet.

Good point! I wasnt thinking about that. Now makes me think that the savage stock has an advantage.

The 6.5 I have has the accustock. It's pretty nice. The cheek pieces are hard but comfortable. I have the highest one on and when I clean the gun the cleaning rod has to go around the side of the cheek piece as it's to high to slide in straight but I use a bore guide so it's really no big deal.

greengt88 said:
just work the bolts on the two, i think u may find the weatherby MUCH better. Accuracy wise they should be in the same boat however. /quote]

This. I have a Vanguard S2 in 7mm RM. I have several Savages, including a Stealth. None of the Savages have as smooth an action the Vanguard.

i just looked at a Savage Stealth Evolution, the bolt on that was phenomenal, but apparently it has a Trued Action from factory...def felt better than any other Savage i have operated.

I've had a lot of both and the Vanguard is a better built rifle. The savage will have more possibility down the road for changes.

I have the savage predator with the older style stock in 243 it's accurate and a good all around rifle, I tinkered around with the bolt enough to get it running fairly smooth but the I'd buy the weatherby/Howa if I had a do over. Actually if your looking at 223 then Howa has the mini action that would be perfect.

The Sauer 101 looks pretty dang Nice for the price Too! Also since you mentioned the Predator model take a look at the Thompson Center Venture predator it's a little bit lighter than the Savage and in my opinion a a better rifle with much better fit and finish then the Savage for the same money.

I just bought the 110 predator in 22-250. The reason is because of the stock. Its got an aluminum block that runs nearly the full length of the stock. No need to pillar and glass bed. It has allot of adjustability for lop and comb for a personal fit. IMO a good fitting gun goes a long way towards consistent accuracy. It also has a free floated 12 twist fluted 24" bbl that's threaded and suppressor ready. I'm not likely to add a suppressor but for those that do, it's ready.

I haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet but the lop and comb are adjusted to me. The 30mm hd5 2.5x10 leupold is mounted and bore sighted. I've loaded a box of cartridges for the break in process and added a box of factory for good luck. I might change my mind when I start sending lead down the tube if I get patterns rather than groups. Might not like lugging it around either cuz its not the lightest rifle I own. I could probably complain about the fit of some of the adjustment pieces if I was buying used but they're just cosmetic issues and I bought to hunt with not look at or rub on. But right now I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
I have both in my inventory with standard sporter barrels on them . Off the bench they are both good. The Weatherby/ Howa is very well made but very heavy. You get a lot of meat with one.

I perfer the Savages . Rather than getting one of the predators why don't you get one with a standard sporter barrel. This will get the weight down .

Savage all the way. I have a Stevens 200 in 22-250 and an Axis II in 223, both shoot 1/3 to 1/2 inch with almost any load. I got a 25-06 last year and wanted something a little nicer, I got the S2. I am hopeful that things are getting better......shot some groups under an inch after about 18 different loads and OAL adjustments. It is pickiest rifle I have ever loaded for. It is very well made though and the action is smooth. I really hope to get it worked out this fall because I want to like it, it is a solid rifle but can't hold a candle to my Savages or Ruger American so far.

Last edited:
Back