Legal Pot Doesn't hurt Business

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater[ most people drive to bars, drink, then drive drunk. That's okay, apparently.

it may be okay where you are from. but around here if you get caught driving under the influence of alcohol it is going to cost you dearly.

and it is the same bad juju if caught driving under the influence of drugs.

if you want to talk about a way more serious problem, a problem more serious than drugs and alcohol combined, we can discuss texting while driving.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater[ most people drive to bars, drink, then drive drunk. That's okay, apparently.

it may be okay where you are from. but around here if you get caught driving under the influence of alcohol it is going to cost you dearly.

and it is the same bad juju if caught driving under the influence of drugs.

if you want to talk about a way more serious problem, a problem more serious than drugs and alcohol combined, we can discuss texting while driving.

What I mean is that no one has a problem with bars, or alcohol, when they're just as destructive as other drugs. Yet, mention marijuana and the people come out of the wood work speaking out against it.

Texting while driving is an issue. Mainly because people are addicted to their phones.

Ban them all!

Tbh, saying that x is bad, so let's do 2x is silly. Just because I can legally poison myself doesn't mean we should have more poisons.

I am a firm believer that once you are an adult you should be free to destroy your life in any fashion you want, as long as what you do only affects you. Drink? Yep, drink all you want at home. Stay off the streets and don't beat your kids. Pot? Same. Meth? Have all the Meth you want, but no tax funded services for you to fix your broken body.

But, only if it only affects you. I can spend all day sitting on a drunks lap and blow 0.00. But I can't spend 10 minutes in the same room with a pot smoker and not get high.

Originally Posted By: NdIndyTbh, saying that x is bad, so let's do 2x is silly. Just because I can legally poison myself doesn't mean we should have more poisons.

I am a firm believer that once you are an adult you should be free to destroy your life in any fashion you want, as long as what you do only affects you. Drink? Yep, drink all you want at home. Stay off the streets and don't beat your kids. Pot? Same. Meth? Have all the Meth you want, but no tax funded services for you to fix your broken body.

But, only if it only affects you.

It's an interesting concept, but it doesn't ever, and cannot ever, work out that way in reality.

Originally Posted By: tnshootist

Moderation in all things is the secret to life.

I tend to avoid substances and behavior that is harmful. Seems a really good starting place.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: NdIndyTbh, saying that x is bad, so let's do 2x is silly. Just because I can legally poison myself doesn't mean we should have more poisons.

It's an interesting concept, but it doesn't ever, and cannot ever, work out that way in reality.
That for sure, just another drain for our tax dollars.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: tnshootist

Moderation in all things is the secret to life.

I tend to avoid substances and behavior that is harmful. Seems a really good starting place.

Yes thats a good start.
That is best because nobody knows if they are capable of moderation.

Anything done to excess is harmful. It don't have to be drugs or strong drink.
Some things done just once is excess.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: NdIndyTbh, saying that x is bad, so let's do 2x is silly. Just because I can legally poison myself doesn't mean we should have more poisons.

+1

No matter how bad the effects of legalized pot are on society, I think that it will be coming to many more states. My state of SC will be one of the very last, and I am thankful of that.

I do wish that they would legalize the medicine that is a derivative of THC that is non hallucinogenic to those that have various cancers, epilepsy, etc. These meds are nothing short of a miracle drug, and again, they are not hallucinogenic...no high from these meds.

Article in the paper today that dispensaries in Colorado are recommending pot for pregnancy related nausea. That's great, the new baby will be a stoner before its born.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: NdIndyTbh, saying that x is bad, so let's do 2x is silly. Just because I can legally poison myself doesn't mean we should have more poisons.

+1

No matter how bad the effects of legalized pot are on society, I think that it will be coming to many more states. My state of SC will be one of the very last, and I am thankful of that.

I do wish that they would legalize the medicine that is a derivative of THC that is non hallucinogenic to those that have various cancers, epilepsy, etc. These meds are nothing short of a miracle drug, and again, they are not hallucinogenic...no high from these meds.

Yep, that's why it's so easy to see through a majority of "medical Marijuana" claims. You can take the meds for your "glaucoma" and not get high, but that's not what they fought for. No high,no interest.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: 6724I do not buy the alcohol argument, if you want to talk about alcohol, fine, but to use that as a reason to justify pot, it does not hold water with me. They are two different things. It is also harder to define the amount of pot or the amount of incapacitation.

If referring to me, I don't use that argument as a justification, but I find it very hypocritical that people who are vehemently against marijuana, find no issue with bars or alcohol. Outside of the city, most people drive to bars, drink, then drive drunk. That's okay, apparently. So, I don't mention alcohol to justify legal marijuana, but simply to point out the hypocrisy of it, since a lot of people have a drink or two a day and find it socially acceptable to do so.

I believe these are two entirely different substances that are often compared to each other. It is apples and oranges. The long-term effects of alcohol use has many many years of medical data to support the studies. The measurable amount of alcohol in a container is printed on the label. Within reason, you know how much alcohol is in every can or bottle and how much a person can consume before they are legally intoxicated.

The same cannot be said for marijuana. There is no way to determine the amount of THC in marijuana nor how much a person can safely consume before becoming impaired to the point they cant operate a vehicle. If you want to legalize marijuana, I don't care, but the parameters must be set to the same degree as other controlled substances.

The hypocrisy is comparing a tightly controlled substance like alcohol with a free-range plant like marijuana. They simply shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation.

The argument in support of legalizing recreational pot comes from silly pot heads and opportunists who see a chance to make money by selling a harmful drug. Politicians, mostly democrats, looking for votes and kickbacks are doing their part.

There is unanswered questions about pot but it does load the lungs with tar and thats a fact.
It may be that health care costs will outstrip tax revenue in a few years.

Originally Posted By: 6724Article in the paper today that dispensaries in Colorado are recommending pot for pregnancy related nausea. That's great, the new baby will be a stoner before its born.

That can't be good.

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsAside from the kickbacks, I would bet the additional tax $$$$$ have a lot to do with legalizing pot.

Absolutely. The proponents of Amendment 64 in Colorado sold it to voters as a bill of goods that the tax revenue was going to fund schools. Now we have people campaigning (for office) on finding out where all the marijuana tax revenue is going.

Originally Posted By: ADKOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksI don't do dope heads or drunks. I spent my younger days around both, so I have first person experience. Once people start getting high the only thing they want is a higher high.

Yup! I had a few pothead friends when I was young. Still keep in touch with one of them. He's 71 years old and is still working as a night janitor. He can't afford to retire. Another became hopelessly addicted to dope and committed suicide. They won't convince me that pot is harmless.

The more people on dope the more that rely on the government. That is what the democrats want! Yes its the democrats who are making it legal.

Back