Pulsar PiP problem

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Kevin, just wondering if you took any more pictures with it solid on a target? not yet, i am seeing some complaints about others having similar issues on several pulsar fb pages though. Not many cases but a few.

And really mine is at most 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. I know its not dead on but I've just been living with it. Not really sure if I'll send it in to get fixed or just leave it. I kinda like it making me shoot a little high using the pip, that way it acts as a ballistics reticle.

Another thing I'm battling is telling if it is truthfully off that much or is the heat target "blooming" as pulsar suggested. According to them the fact that it is a zoomed digital image, the target will appear bigger in the zoomed pip and cause you too aim differently.

in pulsars defense, they wouldn't make any judgement over the phone and by pictures alone. They want me to send the unit in so they can personally evaluate it. Which i should do if I'm going to complain about it. The least i could do is give them a chance to witness it and correct it

Last edited:
yes I know what you mean. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards and that is with a reflective target made for thermal scopes. It gives a finer edge. But I currently do not have a way of locking the gun in place and then turning on the PIP and getting a picture of it. But like you said, it's not a huge deal and I really like my particular scope because I barely had to move my crosshairs when I sighted it in. I believe my X is 1 and my Y is 6. Or vice versa, but it is only 1 click left

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76yes I know what you mean. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards and that is with a reflective target made for thermal scopes. It gives a finer edge. But I currently do not have a way of locking the gun in place and then turning on the PIP and getting a picture of it. But like you said, it's not a huge deal and I really like my particular scope because I barely had to move my crosshairs when I sighted it in. I believe my X is 1 and my Y is 6. Or vice versa, but it is only 1 click left ditto. My ATN Thor HD is like X-56, Y 126.....my pulsar is X 3, Y 11....made me grin
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Kevin, just curious about your Thor, if those coordinates puts the crosshair well off center? yes it does and pretty bad at that. For some reason atn did not design it to recenter its self. As matter of fact I have talked to several people with ATN Thor HD that have the same exact problem. At first I thought maybe that my Barrel was not squared to the receiver but once I put the Pulsar on there I instantly found out that everything as far as the gun was concerned is fine. Also I was not having any trouble with my day scope on that same rifle so I somewhat suspected the ATN problem in the beginning

Last edited:
Quick update: went out with the Pulsar Apex XQ 38 again tonight. Like I've mentioned I have been having problems getting the picture-in-picture to line up with the bottom reticle. For some reason tonight I went out and it lined up absolutely perfect. There are three things that I can think of that have changed from this shooting session to the previous shooting session where I was having problems.

1. Im wearing my eye glasses tonight rather than my contacts.

2. I used an ice cube for a target rather than the hot hand handwarmer I had previously been using.

3. Im now currently using a Pulsar external battery pack rather than the Energizer Lithium CR123 batteries.

I'm not sure which one of these three made a difference. It could have also possibly been none of these but for some reason now it lines up absolutely perfect. I didn't have time to test on it anymore hopefully I'll get a chance later. I had went out to simply sight in and now I'm heading hunting.

My thoughts are it has something to do with number 2 or number 3. Simply because the PiP was off when I used my camera phone to snap that photo so that kind of rules out the contact lenses causing a problem. I'm leaning more towards it having to do with either the type of Target I was using or the power supply.

EDIT: Having discovered the problem and remedy in my next post, i had forgotten that i had also went to profile 2 because i was shooting a different upper on my ar tonight, thats why it was lining up good. For some reason Profile 2: is dead nuts on no matter what.

Last edited:
Ok, Update of an Update: Hunting was slow tonight so i decided to come home and play with the thermal some more to see if i could nail down why this pip is not lining up. Upon inspection i found this

Profile 1: PiP is off by several inches (now) high and right
Profile 2: Pip is Dead on
Profile 3: Pip is off to the left appox. 3 inches.

How i fixed the problem: Selected profile 1, went into settings and shut off the pip...then turned it back on and activated the pip....PiP is now dead on for Profile 1

Went to Profile 3: Did the exact same thing as above and it fixed the problem, and now the pip is lining up perfectly.

Shut the unit off and then back on and they are off again and I have to go thru the procedure again to get them all to line up.

My plans are to leave the unit on all night while hunting, esp. now that i have an external power pack, and leave it on one profile while hunting all night. If the battery dies or i shut unit off, i need to remember to ON/Off the pip function to make sure it aligns.

I have no idea why it is doing this and honestly i really dont care. I have found away to remedy it and i will stick with that. If it continues to correct its self in this manner, i am not going to send it in and mess with the head ache of mailing it and not having it for the time being.

Back